mosin question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbanscout

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been looking at buying a mosin 91/30 from a co worker for $140. He will include 220 rounds of the mil surplus ammo.
Good deal?

Next...
I am new to the rifle world and have spent the last few months just shooting my marlin 60. I've wanted to buy "the next step up" and was seriosly considering a lever action or SKS or other mil surplus. NOW.... Prices have gone throught the roof and a mosin looks like one of my few options. I do have a budget, unfortunately, and I would like a good mutipurpose rifle. I don't hunt and the paper target at the range the only zombie I plan to see anytime soon.

SO. Tell me about the mosin. I see there are multiple types. Which is best or has an advantage? I've read some web pages, but would like some honest opinions and direction.

Or. should I really look at another rifle all together?

Thanks

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a good deal. Mosins are going between $90 to $120. The ammo is probably worth $40 - $50.

So worst case you are getting it at cost, best case you are saving $20 or so.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If this is your first venture into rifles just go in knowing that Mosins aren't exactly "refined". They were mass produced using the finest Russian manufacturing processes and are about as utilitarian of a bolt-action as can be. Remember the stories of captured Migs using old school vacuum tubes for instrumentation and wood components in a high-tech military jet? Well, that Russian attention to quality is alive and well in the Mosin. They were a tool, nothing more and nothing less.

But these traits along with their cost and readily available ammo is what makes them a lot of fun. They can be plenty accurate for range fun or hunting.

At the price quoted, you're fine. Go have fun.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If this is your first venture into rifles just go in knowing that Mosins aren't exactly "refined". They were mass produced using the finest Russian manufacturing processes and are about as utilitarian of a bolt-action as can be. Remember the stories of captured Migs using old school vacuum tubes for instrumentation and wood components in a high-tech military jet? Well, that Russian attention to quality is alive and well in the Mosin. They were a tool, nothing more and nothing less.

Sometime a wooden pencil is the answer.

I understand the sarcasm - but in all honesty, 99.9% of the Mosins we get, are Ukrainian refurbs (obviously not Tula or Izhevsk gunsmith) with forced matched bolts (the numbers will match, but you can tell that different striker is used): which makes them sticky and clunky. It's easy to tell refurb by this mark:
7.62x54r.net_MosinID_Refurb.jpg
7.62x54r.net_MosinID_StockRefurb.jpg

Every single one in original configuration I've handled is very smooth - both bolt and trigger.

Last edited:

urbanscout

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay....

So does this rifle fit into a mutipupose catagory? Is it the modern day "put a rifle above the fireplace"?
Or are there other ones I should look into?

Someone recomended an Enfiled.... 303 seems expensive...

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sometime a wooden pencil is the answer.

I understand the sarcasm - but in all honesty, 99.9% of the Mosins we get, are Ukrainian refurbs (obviously not Tula or Izhevsk gunsmith) with forced matched bolts (the numbers will match, but you can tell that different striker is used): which makes them sticky and clunky. It's easy to tell refurb by this mark:

Every single one in original configuration I've handled is very smooth - both bolt and trigger.

Yeah I was having some fun in my post. I remember seeing a crate of Mosins at one of the big Tulsa shows a few years back. The light coming in the windows struck the receivers just right to show tooling marks that looked more like chainsaw cuts than milling machine work. I remember thinking then how crude but perfectly effective these rifles are.

Last edited:

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do have a budget, unfortunately, and I would like a good mutipurpose rifle.

A true multipurpose would be shotgun .... Rifles get rather specialized, and Mosin is a very "special" rifle.

Figure out what you want to do - than figure out what rifle you want; don't buy a rifle and then figure out how to find a use for it (or do :) )

AGI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would buy it. If you end up not liking it you can easily sell it for what you have in it. Mosins are just too cheap to pass up....they are about the only full powered rifles you can buy for less than $150.

Ammo is also still very affordable. 440rds for $100 shipped.

Latest posts

Top Bottom