Mosin questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rumur

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings,
Despite my low post count, I am not THAT new here. I have been reading some posts about the Mosin Nagant rifle and am seriously looking into getting one. I have a couple of questions though:
1. As I know nothing about this rifle, is there anything I need to look for when purchasing one online?
2. I am finding them as low as $110 plus shipping which sounds very affordable, should I be concerned about these? Or am I being naive and that is an opening bid price?

I can only assume that they made these by the millions being that they are as old as they are yet be this affordable.

Thanks

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look for a Hexagonal receiver. These are a bit more praised than the round. Also look for TULA as the manufacturer.
They are great rifles! Inexpensive to feed and fairly accurate. Simple, reliable, and easy to clean.
Personally, I only have to mosins. But plan on getting another one soon.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Over some 70 years, they made something like 37 million Mosin-Nagants. As the others have said, these rifles are literally a dime a dozen. But surplus ammo will most likely be corrosive, so plan on cleaning your rifle immediately after every trip to the range, and keep the chamber CLEAN. Otherwise you might get a gummy deposit pretty quickly - as in, during a single range session - in which case you may need a length of 2x4 to whack open the bolt :D

Josh Smith

Marksman
Reaction score
Hello,

You will find the best quality were made between wars. Look for pre-1939 on the shank.

A Finn is preferable, but if you don't mind a little work you can make a 91/30 with good bore and good crown shoot like an M39. By "a little work" I mean nothing more than making metal shims by cutting shim stock and punching holes in them, then wrapping a portion of the barrel with a strip of old t-shirt!

Please see

Accurizing the Mosin-Nagant Rifle

and

Accurizing the Mosin-Nagant Rifle, Part II: A Year Later

I've had really great luck with these rifles!

Regards,

Josh

jduff8505

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have two. One for show and one that will be getting the full on sporter treatment.

They sell them at sooner state pawn with the accessory kits. I like dealing local, so the small price difference doesn't bother me.

Jeff

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree that dealing local is cool. Your location says United States; but if you're in the Broken Arrow area the Broken Arrow gun shop has 5 Mosins. They've all been arsenal refurbished. No not in Finland dang it! They are all nice rifles and come with the bayonet, sling, oiler, tools and dual ammo pouch...$139.00 before you haggle with them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom