1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Mosin Type 53 project

Discussion in 'Military Surplus' started by fubarjohnnyr, Mar 20, 2013.

1. fubarjohnnyr

fubarjohnnyr Sharpshooter

I know there are more than a few who despise 'bubbafied' milsurps, and while I agree with many of the examples which have been shown in these very forums; I have lent my creative process into making this particular example into something a bit more attractive and functional so slam away if you must. A few weeks ago Buds Gunshop had Type 53 Chinese Mosins for $119.00 and I ended up ordering 3 of them. Initial reports were that most examples were in extremely rough condition, mine of which were no exception. 2 of the 3 are what are best described as beaters, the stocks are absolutely wrecked, actions full of sand, but the metal is surprisingly in relative good condition. The best of the 3 I will leave intact, rework the given stock and keep in original condition.

This poor beast was the worst of the lot prior to the work.

[​IMG]

The stock is from Boyd's, which was a tossup between Forest Camo or the Nutmeg laminate; ended up with the camo. Metal parts are DuraCoated with Aug Green. My eyes are to the point where aperture sights are much preferred, so I cut off the back of the rear leaf sight, drilled/tapped for an aperture stem and a setscrew for vertical adjustment. Bayonet lug was filed down flat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. deli_llama

deli_llama Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    that is quite tasteful. Nice work.

3. been

been Sharpshooter

Thats awesome!

4. Seadog

Seadog Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Im am normally against bubaing weapons but you did you a dam good job. The Boyds stock is nice. Did you have to do some fitting or glass beding for it? How does it shoot?

5. Arin Morris

Arin Morris Sharpshooter

I like it. Hope that's high temp paint!

Ah, DuraCoated with Aug Green. Nice!

6. fubarjohnnyr

I had to do some in-letting around the ejector/ejector spring/feed interrupter, base of the barrel, and around the rear sight band. I informally shot a bit prior to the duracoating, grouping was typical at around 2-2 1/2 inch groups but I wasn't on a bench. After I get a good cure on the paint, I'll get a good solid shooting session in and see what kind of accuracy I get. If it's wondering around the paper very bad, I'll glass bed the action.

7. dlbleak

dlbleak Moderator Staff Member

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    i like it. might end up being a decent shooter.

8. HiredHand

HiredHand Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I'm curious. Why didn't you use a Mojo rear sight? I've never used the Mojo sights but they appear to be a good idea.

9. fubarjohnnyr

I did give the Mojo sights a look at, and it appears to be an awesome solution for using an aperture. It just came down to $$$, I already had that stem in my parts drawer so an additional $69.00 just wasn't in the cards *this time*. I would like to know if anyone else has used them before?

10. John Moses Browning

John Moses Browning Marksman

That really is nice. I've been thinking about getting a t-53 alot lately and plan on doing some work to it