Mossberg 590 Shockwave with mod's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neokshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well this Mossberg 20 Gauge model 590 Shockwave that I purchased is coming right along with my modifications. I started with a new gun right out of the box. My first add on was a side saddle. I went with the Mesa Tactical,6 round. Next I did away with the brass bead front sight and replaced it with an XS Big Dot with the tritium ring around the dot. That install went very well. I then put a "sling" on it in the form of an old GI OD green utility strap and some sling swivels and I replaced the factory forend strap with one from B-Tac in the OD Green with grommets. Today I received an SB Tactical arm Brace along with a side folding adaptor. I have a Short rail, adjustable ghost ring rear sight on order. I'm replacing the pistol grip that came with the arm brace with a Magpul MOE AR-15/AR-10 K2 Grip in Flat Dark Earth. I need to find some sort of rear sling attachment. With all of that I believe it will be complete. But hey who knows?
Mossberg Shockwave with armbrace.jpg arm brace folded.jpg Armbrace folded bottom.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200722_115725413_2.jpg
    IMG_20200722_115725413_2.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is it legal to change the grip on the Mossberg Shockwave without running afoul of the ATF regulations? My understanding was the birdshead grip was one of the features that kept it from being an NFA covered firearm. Just asking.

neokshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is it legal to change the grip on the Mossberg Shockwave without running afoul of the ATF regulations? My understanding was the birdshead grip was one of the features that kept it from being an NFA covered firearm. Just asking.
You cannot put just a vertical pistol grip without an arm brace. Reason being the vertical pistol grip does not add enough to the length to meet the overall length requirement of 26 inches. The birdhead being more horizontal does give it the length needed. As for replacing the birdhead with an arm brace with an AR type pistol grip is completely legal and has the B.A.T.F.'s blessing. By my measuring tape the arm brace increases the OAL to 34 inches. However with the arm brace,including the Pistol Receiver Extension, the side fold adaptor and the arm brace itself folded to the right side the overall length is only about 23 3/4 inches. I don't believe they would have an issue with that but I'm not sure. This is a picture of my Shockwave 20 gauge with the arm brace compared to my 930 12 gauge with a Choate pistol grip stock. The Shockwave is dwarfed by the 930.
shotguns 1.jpg

Last edited:

neokshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Micro red dot that costs more than the firearm is needed, or you don’t really Tactical.

I like it though. The plan here is for one, but 870 style as the safety is easier with the grip and brace.
I started out looking at the 870 TAC-14 but I'm pretty impressed by this Mossberg.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I havent checked out shotguns in a while, and I'm SHOCKED to see what these are selling for now, can someone tell me why that is? when they came out sold for a little over 300...as i crawl out from under my rock...

neokshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shockwave complete.jpg
I havent checked out shotguns in a while, and I'm SHOCKED to see what these are selling for now, can someone tell me why that is? when they came out sold for a little over 300...as i crawl out from under my rock...
I think mine was a little over $400. I got it on Gunbroker new in the box and they were kinda' hard to find at the time. The popularity and subsequent lack of availability of these guns has driven the price up pretty fast. I believe the aftermarket accessories available for them now has a lot to do with that also. That and that it allows people to have something close to an SBS without the paperwork and the cost of a tax stamp. I thought they were completely worthless when I first saw one. Then after looking them over and seeing all the different things you can do with them they sorta' grew on me. I also watched several youtube videos and they all talked about how manageable they were even with the birdshead grip and even in 12 gauge (mine's a 20 gauge). This is mine, now with a Magpul FDE pistol grip and a short rail fully adjustable ghost ring rear sight. The cool thing is with the turn of a castle nut wrench and a few hex head bolts I can go back to the shorty birdshead configuration in a few minutes. Yeah I think I've completed the accessorizing of this one and it's gonna' be a nice little gun.

Last edited: