Mossberg 817 17hmr Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickeyparker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First thought was oh crap why did I buy this rifle
First Impressions
It had a cheap feeling stock (Still does)
Rough Bolt (real stiff cycling and lockdown)
Scope Mounts werent real Impressive ( painted)
trigger pull was Awful (was awful)
Pinned free floating barrel
didnt shoot good groups

The Fix
had to make adjustments on barrell to stock clearance.
take it apart and clean all machine oil and tooling powder out of it.
Smooth the trigger action ( Cleaning and blowing out with air)
Take scope mounts off and clean out tool oil, lockdown with locktite.
Clean and polish the bolt (all rough areas)
Add a NC Star Scope 3x9x40 with mildots

Results
under 1 inch group at 50 yards free hand
2 inch group at 200 yards laying it over the ATV seat
never had one jam or hang up at all, the scope was flawless and it shoots well, the trigger was greatly improved with a small amount of creep, this is not a target rifle but in fact it will turn out to be an exellent hunting gun, i shot 3 different loads thru it and they all worked well, so for the investment of $220.00 I am real happy with it, The NC Star scope works real well and didnt give me any fuss at all

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
nice report. i'm still thinking about adding a 17 to my stash. its one of those "don't need but want" guns. i'm looking at the less expensive end because of this. the mossberg fits the bill so i went to academy and fondled one... again. still didn't buy it,maybe next time!

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've became a big fan of these little rimfires.
I currently have one of both in rifles and a 17 HMR in a handgun.
As long as the wind cooperates they are dead on tack drivers.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whats the Story Dennishoddy ?

Here it is.....the only thing left out of the original story was that I was in my tighty whities during this shooting rampage. Thank God I live in the country.

Yesterday morning I was off, and let the dogs out for their morning run. Went to get a cup of coffee, and the barking started. My dogs don't bark normally, but this time it was frantic. I grabbed the .17HMR, and went to the side yard. Two raccoons had my little lap dog cornered, and Gunner, my Brittany was trying his best to keep them off the little dog.
I hit the first right behind the shoulder, and he stood up on his back legs, looked up and fell over backwards. Never moved again.
A split second afterward, the second coon took off across the yard, and at 50 yds, I put one to the hip. (Sorry Danny)

He thrashed around for a second and ran off dragging said shattered hip.
I put the dogs in the house and went to the creek looking for him, and finally found it trying to get up the other side. One to the head and it was all over.

Kind of made for an exciting morning. The dogs did not have any injuries that I could see, and are current on all of their shots, so I'm sure they will be ok.

Latest posts

Top Bottom