Most Versatile 12 gauge round?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a one size fits all, I'd say #4 would be a good, all around. That being said, I'm like most, some oo buck, some slugs, some turkey loads, and a shot-load of 7 1/2's and 8's.

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say, 6 to 7 1/2. If you need something close to a slug, you can cut one and have a poor mans slug right quick.
That was you don't have to carry so many rounds.

If you have not seen a poor mans slug, search for it on You tube. Also called a cut shotgun shell.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since you’re posting in a prepper forum I’ll assume you’re asking for some SHTF scenario. To me, besides being a great home defense weapon (where I’d use 0000 buck) it isn’t anything I’d use elsewhere, not even hunting. For a bug-out weapon, the shells are simply to heavy and you can pack darn to few of them. For a hunting weapon, forget what's legal and grab a .22 along with some nets and snares…you’ll eat better. That is my humble opinion. :wink2:

diabjoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since you’re posting in a prepper forum I’ll assume you’re asking for some SHTF scenario. To me, besides being a great home defense weapon (where I’d use 0000 buck) it isn’t anything I’d use elsewhere, not even hunting. For a bug-out weapon, the shells are simply to heavy and you can pack darn to few of them. For a hunting weapon, forget what's legal and grab a .22 along with some nets and snares…you’ll eat better. That is my humble opinion. :wink2:

I appreciate your opinion, I hadn't considered the weight before.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my opinion, if you’re foraging for food, your weapon isn’t used as the primary source for making meat. That is what snares, nets, and traps are used for. The meat gun, IMO a .22, is used for ‘targets of opportunity’ and only for that situation. If you depend on hunting and fishing as practiced by sportsmen then you’ll go hungry more often than not. In a SHTF type situation, hunting ethics aren’t practiced if you want to feed your family, so figure how to best kill your dinner with the least effort and expense of supplies.

If I’m in a location that doesn’t require me to carry the shotgun and ammo around with me, such as home or semi-permanent camp, then a scatter gun is fine for defense, especially bear. But if I’m moving I want something that is a lot more portable. You can carry a whole lot of .223 and .22 LR for what one box of bird shot weighs, and 22’s have poached many deer over the years.

hamassharry

New to the site!
Reaction score
I agree with shooterdave the major bulk of my "stockpile" is #4... lots of law enforcement use it a a general purpose round... stock up on some 00 and slugs when you can.

diabjoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have good amounts of 22 and 223 stocked and those are my primary bug out guns, the shotgun would be if I were able to come back and grab the rest of my guns. I figured while the rest of the ammo is goong crazy I'd figure out a good multipurpose shotgun round and stock up on that since my wal-mart seems to still have 12 gauge in stock. Sounds like I should go with either 4 or the 7 1/2 and 8. Or I could just do both since 12 gauge has never been too crazy expensive

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have good amounts of 22 and 223 stocked and those are my primary bug out guns, the shotgun would be if I were able to come back and grab the rest of my guns. I figured while the rest of the ammo is goong crazy I'd figure out a good multipurpose shotgun round and stock up on that since my wal-mart seems to still have 12 gauge in stock. Sounds like I should go with either 4 or the 7 1/2 and 8. Or I could just do both since 12 gauge has never been too crazy expensive

Sounds like a plan to me. :thumb:

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Im a lil late. I hunt alot of game birds and small game. IMO, #4 & #6's out of a mod choke are about ideal for all small game. I was killing turkeys, ducks an pheasants with #4's long before specialty rounds came out. Used to get boxes of #6's i would use for ducks, rabbits, squirrels, doves and quail.

The difference between the 2 are negligble. So either of those works good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom