Most Versatile 12 gauge round?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
... #6's i would use for ducks....

I'd agree with what you said except when hunting duck which for most people is gonna be steel shot. Then I'd go to a #4 shot for puddlers in decoys and flooded timber birds. For larger birds at lake distances I'd usually use a #2 shot to carry a little more energy for the distance needed. My favorite, but which is harder to find is #3 shot because it's a really good working compromise between the #2 and #4 sizes. I always used T shot for goose, but admittedly, I've not hunted a lot of goose so I'm kinda hesitant to recommend a shot size for them. Moral of the story, if using steel shot go a couple sizes up for a similar effect as the normally used lead shot sizes.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say, 6 to 7 1/2. If you need something close to a slug, you can cut one and have a poor mans slug right quick.
That was you don't have to carry so many rounds.

If you have not seen a poor mans slug, search for it on You tube. Also called a cut shotgun shell.

Written by a man that has shot a shotgun once or twice, obviously. I agree 100% on all points above. You can find 7 1/2 shot in the 100 round packs. I think I have some 6 shot also, not sure though.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like to have more #6 field loads on hand than anything else. More range than 7 1/2 or #8. A little too large for quail, a little too small for turkey. Perfect compromise. The Old Timers argument for the cut shell used as a slug is perfectly valid. I've never tried it myself, but my hillbillie cousins assure me that it works.
As for the guy in this thread who advises 7 1/2 for self defense, Dick Cheney couldn't even kill a lawyer with that.
00 buck for the house gun, #6 for everything else.
This is assuming that you also have a rifle.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Isn't "most versatile 12 gauge round" redundant? :P

Put me in the 50% 7 1/2, 40% 3" 00 buck, and 10% slug category.

Edit - Unfortunately, I've never hunted anything with a shotgun (though I did once turn one of those little brown chirpy birds into a cloud of feathers with a .410 when I was a jerk ass kid). I use mine for targets and preparation for home defense.

diabjoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like to have more #6 field loads on hand than anything else. More range than 7 1/2 or #8. A little too large for quail, a little too small for turkey. Perfect compromise. The Old Timers argument for the cut shell used as a slug is perfectly valid. I've never tried it myself, but my hillbillie cousins assure me that it works.
As for the guy in this thread who advises 7 1/2 for self defense, Dick Cheney couldn't even kill a lawyer with that.
00 buck for the house gun, #6 for everything else.
This is assuming that you also have a rifle.

I also have the rifles. I have slug/buck shot rounds for the 18.5" barrel at home, mostly trying to see if there is a good load that be effective for multiple types of game (turkey, rabbit, squirrel, and water fowl) that u could stock up on for the hunting shotgun.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd throw in with #6 too...for harvesting game, but wouldn't be using any birdshot for self defense unless I just had nothing else available.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the sh*t hits the fan, the steel shot regs for water fowl will become the least of our worries.
#6.

I agree, but I thought it worth mentioning about steel just in case he was thinking about hunting during normal times. Frankly, for me, waterfowl during a disaster would be harvested with treble hooks or a .22LR for the most part.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When i was young n really dumb we did the treble hook duck thing and caught water turkeys.

Not something im proud of but it could come in handy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom