Most Versatile 12 gauge round?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walrus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really good points, Mike60, which should be thought about by folks who find themselves in a bug out situation. I thought about emergency fishing gear a while back and finally just shrugged and got a couple of gill nets and, as you mentioned, a selection of snares. (Squirrels are damn tasty in a stew!)

The weight is certainly an issue.

Speaking of having a .22 handy, has anyone been able to get their hands onto one of those new takedown 10-22s? I've looked for both one of those and a Marlin Papoose, to no avail.

But to be honest, if I had to bug out with a pack on my back, I'd most likely pack one of the ARs instead of a .22. Just personal choice and all that......

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking of having a .22 handy, has anyone been able to get their hands onto one of those new takedown 10-22s? I've looked for both one of those and a Marlin Papoose, to no avail.

I had my hands on one and argued with myself over it. I decided in the end that the extra cost of the takedown version would be better spent on ammo or other supplies. The standard 10/22 is already light and small enough, as is a shorty AR.

Walrus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd have strengthened your argument so it could've been taken off your hands, friend! lol

I'd like to have one but I'm leery of buying anything right now. I don't know whether to jump in the craziness pond or see about waiting it out until some sense of normalcy takes over again.

If it ever does.

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just recently bought a 12ga for home defense & stocked up on the Federal 100rd value packs in 2 3/4" 1oz 8 shot rounds. And then went to Kmart & found Winchester Super X 2 3/4" 1oz 8 shot rounds on sale for about $4 a box. Bought all (8) boxes they had. I got one box of home defense 00 buck when I bought the gun. I figure those 8 shot rounds should do the job just fine in close quarter situation, anything out past 25yrds I'm using a pistol or rifle anyhow.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
7 1/2 bird shot, close range self defense and out to 50 yard small game round. My rifle rounds are cheaper than slugs or 00 buck, so past 50 yards I'll just use a rifle.

This!

I've hunted pheasant with 7.5 for years and have had great success. Turkey I would normaly go with #6, but I think you could get by with 7.5.

Last edited:

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

But to be honest, if I had to bug out with a pack on my back, I'd most likely pack one of the ARs instead of a .22. Just personal choice and all that......
Last one I saw in town was over at Outdoor America. I bought one for my dad for Christmas. Shoots great. POI never changed in the 5 times we took it apart between the 25 round clips we fed it.

It is up to you if you feel the cost is prohibitive. I payed $371 out the door at Dick's back in November. First and last thing I'll ever buy there.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never heard of a treble hook method. I'll have to familiarize myself with that.

It's basically tying off a small hook's line to where it will not come within 4-6 inches of the surface and baiting it with something tasty (think like a duck here). Puddle ducks are greedy little pigs when they eat and will happily down a tasty morsel, the head goes down, and it stays down. There are a number of variations for setting up a drowning set, including some that can catch coons as well by adding a slider and speedhook, but that is a lot less certain and harder to set. In a survival situation you can't go wrong by having some fish hooks, line, a small gill net, and some steel wire on you.

I also should add: when setting any kind of trap, snare, net, or whatever, remember location is king. For instance, if you want duck you've gotta hunt or trap where you either see them working, or you can find sign of them feeding in the area.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never heard of a treble hook method. I'll have to familiarize myself with that.

I can help. I worked with a guy from Ga. that admitted to being the son of a major poacher in that state.

They caught Turkey with Trebble hooks, caught deer with snares, etc. Said it was not worth eating, and when they thashed about before expiring, it made the meat all bloody, etc..

If I were a prepper and needed protien in a SHTF, I wouldn't worry about it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom