Moving from TX, trying to learn the "major" differences in the law

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsj11

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
New member here!
I'm moving to Tulsa for graduate school very soon. I have a valid Texas CHL (CCW) permit and am likely keeping my TX (parents) address for all official purposes.

My reasoning is,
(I found this on the TX DPS site)
FAQ "If I am a college student and attend school out of state, do I have to turn in my license to DPS or change my home address? No. If you are merely attending a university in another state, you may keep your permanent address on your concealed handgun license..."

It seems that Oklahoma will honor any VALID permit from TX, and because of the above quote, I should be good-to-go.

That being said, I'm trying to learn the major differences, primarily to respect OK law and be a responsible carrier.
I'd appreciate any responses:thanku:

So far I am seeing:
1 No caliber larger than .45 (non-issue for me)

2 I can't have loaded rifles/long guns in a vehicle?

3 Can I carry multiple (two) CCWs? (example, Glock on hip, Ruger LCP as a back up gun in pocket?)

4 In general (not just carry) Are there any mag capacity limits
What about AR high capacity mags?

5 Important: I have no intention to EVER carry on to a campus, BUT what about parking lots? From handgunlaw.us it looks like I'm allowed a concealed weapon in my car, parked on a college campus.. right???

6 In TX, only a "intentional" failure to conceal is illegal. Thus, "printing" is almost not going to cause a legal issue (although I do everything possible to prevent this).
How does OK treat accidental failure to conceal or printing?
*note I understand officer discretion would probably be the big issue, but I'm looking for the law

7 On a non-carry side of things, Are AR15s or other long guns subject to any OK laws (they are >16inch barrels)

8 Also, am I able to purchase any firearms in OK with a TX DL and CHL permit?

9 Can anyone suggest any other changes from TX law that I need to re-read or learn?

Thanks again!

OldCurlyWolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a copy of the SDA(Self Defense Act, you can get it online for free) and read it from cover to cover several times.

There are more statutory "No Carry Areas" in Oklahoma than Texas. Case in point: ALL GOVERNMENT BUILDINGS, State, County, and City.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
New member here!
I'm moving to Tulsa for graduate school very soon. I have a valid Texas CHL (CCW) permit and am likely keeping my TX (parents) address for all official purposes.

My reasoning is,
(I found this on the TX DPS site)
FAQ "If I am a college student and attend school out of state, do I have to turn in my license to DPS or change my home address? No. If you are merely attending a university in another state, you may keep your permanent address on your concealed handgun license..."

It seems that Oklahoma will honor any VALID permit from TX, and because of the above quote, I should be good-to-go.

That being said, I'm trying to learn the major differences, primarily to respect OK law and be a responsible carrier.
I'd appreciate any responses:thanku:

So far I am seeing:
1 No caliber larger than .45 (non-issue for me) Right

2 I can't have loaded rifles/long guns in a vehicle? No

3 Can I carry multiple (two) CCWs? (example, Glock on hip, Ruger LCP as a back up gun in pocket?) No specific restriction

What about AR high capacity mags? SDA specifies a handgun carry license only

5 Important: I have no intention to EVER carry on to a campus, BUT what about parking lots? From handgunlaw.us it looks like I'm allowed a concealed weapon in my car, parked on a college campus.. right??? Read SDA carefully. Generally, no carry on campus property; some limited exceptions on storage for colleges

6 In TX, only a "intentional" failure to conceal is illegal. Thus, "printing" is almost not going to cause a legal issue (although I do everything possible to prevent this).
*note I understand officer discretion would probably be the big issue, but I'm looking for the law Law gives no exceptions allowing general open carry.

7 On a non-carry side of things, Are AR15s or other long guns subject to any OK laws (they are >16inch barrels)

8 Also, am I able to purchase any firearms in OK with a TX DL and CHL permit? Federal Law applies; CHL is irrelevant. http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/i/atf-i-5300-23a.pdf

9 Can anyone suggest any other changes from TX law that I need to re-read or learn?
To repeat, you need to read the SDA carefully. OK does not have standard signage requirements, and you must memorize the places that are off limits by statute. If you expect 30.06 and 51% signs, that's TX, not OK. Also, private businesses control access to their property via trespass laws, not the SDA, and there is no standard sign.
Thanks again!

http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2010.pdf
:rtfm:

rsj11

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you.

I have re-read the rules per the link you sent (thanks again).

Going back to the school issue.

It shall be unlawful for any person to have in his or her possession on any public or private school property
or while in any school bus or vehicle used by any school for transportation of students or teachers any
firearm or weapon designated in Section 1272 of this title, except as provided in subsection C of this
section or as otherwise authorized by law.

C. Firearms and weapons are allowed on school property and deemed not in violation of subsection A of this
section as follows:
1. A gun or knife designed for hunting or fishing purposes kept in a privately owned vehicle and
properly displayed or stored as required by law, or a handgun carried in a vehicle pursuant to a valid
handgun license authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, provided such vehicle containing
said gun or knife is driven onto school property only to transport a student to and from school and
such vehicle does not remain unattended on school property
;

I'm not sure I understand "unattended". I'll be going through a pretty rigorous graduate program, and often I'll be in the library for 5-6 hours (plus class) a day. If I had a lawful carry gun hidden in my car, and it was stolen, am I now in violation of a felony because I left my car unattended (thus violation the to exception allowing carry)??:yikes2:

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
go to pg 19 of the SDA:

Starts:

D. No person in possession of any concealed handgun pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall be
authorized to carry the handgun into or upon any college or university property, except as provided in this

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Some differencs. In Oklahoma,
You CAN carry to church and you CANNOT carry to the front door of your childs school.
No notification is neccessary of homeowner or landowner. This might be La specific.
An unlicensed carrier can legally carry concealed in the vehicle with a licensed carrier.
I have not checked TX laws in many years, but these WERE some of the notable differences WHEN I came here.

david04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In Oklahoma, if you carry into a business with a "no guns" sign, you haven't violated the SDA (Self Defense Act) unless it happens to be one of the specifically prohibited places, such as a government building, a bar, or a professional sporting event, etc. There is no signage which makes it illegal to carry somewhere which is otherwise legal. Now, if they see you have a gun and ask you to leave, if you don't you may be guilty of trespass; maybe even armed trespass, but if you leave, you are OK. I believe many Oklahoma CCW holders routinely ignore the "no guns" signs.

OldCurlyWolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1 No caliber larger than .45 (non-issue for me) Right

2 I can't have loaded rifles/long guns in a vehicle? No

3 Can I carry multiple (two) CCWs? (example, Glock on hip, Ruger LCP as a back up gun in pocket?) No specific restriction

What about AR high capacity mags? SDA specifies a handgun carry license only

5 Important: I have no intention to EVER carry on to a campus, BUT what about parking lots? From handgunlaw.us it looks like I'm allowed a concealed weapon in my car, parked on a college campus.. right??? Read SDA carefully. Generally, no carry on campus property; some limited exceptions on storage for colleges

*note I understand officer discretion would probably be the big issue, but I'm looking for the law Law gives no exceptions allowing general open carry.

8 Also, am I able to purchase any firearms in OK with a TX DL and CHL permit? Federal Law applies; CHL is irrelevant. http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...i-5300-23a.pdf

To repeat, you need to read the SDA carefully. OK does not have standard signage requirements, and you must memorize the places that are off limits by statute. If you expect 30.06 and 51% signs, that's TX, not OK. Also, private businesses control access to their property via trespass laws, not the SDA, and there is no standard sign

Just a few comments on your answers.

5. College allows unloaded Storage in a locked Container in a private vehicle on a college parking lot. However if a student/employee most Oklahoma colleges will expel/fire you if they discover that you do so.

6. IMO, your answer is not relevant to the question

8. State law also applies if it does not recognize being able to purchase in other states or by residents of other states. CHL from Texas is Relevant in that it eliminates the requirement for the "Instant Check system".

:oops3:

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
8. State law also applies if it does not recognize being able to purchase in other states or by residents of other states. CHL from Texas is Relevant in that it eliminates the requirement for the "Instant Check system".
:oops3:

Actually a CHL form any state does not exclude anyone from the NICS when purchasing a firearm in Oklahoma. FFLs NICS everyone in OK, regardless of CHL possession.

And a Texas Resident would not be able to purchase a handgun in Oklahoma anyway IIRC.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom