%(&*$#(^&% Mower!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mower problems ?

Got the Snapper Pro ZTR out to change the blades. Whilst I was doing that, I noticed the cross member that connects the lower frame together was broken.

Jack up the mower, .

Pulled the x-member out to weld it, noticed the hydrualic motors (one at each rear wheel) were loose, just hanging on. Got those bolted back up,
then I saw the bushings that locate the rear of the mower deck were completely gone. Had to pull the locator arms off to measure for bushings.

Got the x-member welded and reinstalled, but I'm still looking for the bushings. Apparently an oddball size, I may have to go to the dealer.

My 1 hour job is in the 3rd day....

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one of those Honda water cooled models-4514 I believe and I've replaced all the bearings in the base and bought more for future use. The thing is about 25 years old and every season will start with the first click of the switch. Someone else on OSA has one also and as I remember speaks well of his machine.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one of those Honda water cooled models-4514 I believe and I've replaced all the bearings in the base and bought more for future use. The thing is about 25 years old and every season will start with the first click of the switch. Someone else on OSA has one also and as I remember speaks well of his machine.

Mine is an old Snapper Yard Cruiser and starts very easy too. Usually first turn of the key. The problem has mostly been with an idler pulley. The problem this time was switch that had just loosened and was an easy fix once I found it.

I am going to have to do some cutting on some sheet metal to fit the new style cup holder. :P :P

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had to swap engines on my push mower yesterday.
My snapper wore out to the point of low compression no cutty when it got warm, 5 minutes of mowing.

Son gave me a busted Honda power washer. I used that engine.
Had to take a blade mount off another mower because the shaft sizes were different.
Drilled the blade for the new mount.

WOW this power washer engine cuts like no other push mower I have ever owned!

Know what is funny I have had 3 HP and the 3.5HP old school engines and those would cut better and not bog much in tall grass compared to the newer 6.5 HP stuff.
This 5.5HP Honda if talking HP feels like a 10HP deal the way it cuts.

I hope I get a few years from it.
If you see a 57 Chevy 4 door car pulling a trailer today with a riding and push mower on it that would be me.

AND: I was walking to the backyard to get some scrap iron and I looked on the ground near one mess of scrap and what do I see?
A mower blade mount same as the one I spent 45 minutes getting off one of my other mowers.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried to "swap engines" on my push mower also one time, but after a short time, she refused to push it.

Wish I had a picture, but one of the "Antique shops" in my area has a bicycle that the front wheel has been replaced with a reel type mower out front for a display. ha ha

Had to throw that in. RickN, glad you got up and running, Yep, velcro and duct tape can be your friend. Enough velcro or enough duct tape can attach anything anywhere if you use enough of it. Kinda like you, I try to find a way to keep going, no matter what. I do admire that, cause I am the same way. Unfortunately "new technology" that is supposed to be better tries to keep jamming us up. Technology is wonderful, when it is working. Ya know? In my opinion, every new device with a computer (virtually everything, even a washing machine) should have two buttons. "Dumbshit mode" or really do what I am supposed to do without ******** safety" mode.

Anyone remember when you wanted your mower to stop running you could push on that little metal piece toward the spark plug and it stopped running? Prob short out the little spark computer now. That was before the put the blades 2 inches up inside the outer mower housing caused it to not cut well. Now any mowing device I acquire, the first thing is disable the seat switch so I can stop and move a big stick or dog toy or pool ladder or anything else without having to reset everything, blade engagement, put on the parking brake, center the drive levers, sit on the seat leaning back, etc. Next thing will most likely be a steel toed boot detector or a breath analyzer to make sure we are not having a cold beer while we are mowing the yard for 5 hours.

Back in the day, we learned one part of "common sense" by narrowly escaping big stuff bad happening by accident and remembering to not get close to letting that happen again, like sticking our tennis shoe under where the blade is turning. Guess the CA safety sticker solved that. Ya Know?

Last edited:

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was fortunate that all my yard equipment started right up.

I thought for sure I was going to have to replace the cubs battery but nope she fired right off. String trimmer and leaf blower as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom