Mt. Lion Ruined Hunt!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well my hunting buddy was out at one of our old leases in Grant Co. this past weekend. Anyone who knows the area knows its mostly flat and open with scattered thin trees. Well he was sitting in one of my tower stands and had a great buck come down the drainage toward him. He first spotted the deer about 250 yards out and watched the tips of his horns as he walked the drainage his way. He picked out a low area where the deer would come out about 120 yards and waited. Right as the deer came to his shooting lane it just bolted 90 to nothing! Well right behind it came two young Mountain Lions! He said they chased him a little but soon gave up and started wrestling each other for a while before eventually walking off. He said it was an easy 140inch 8pt, and would have had a chip shot if it wasnt for the cats. Well we have hunted that area for almost 8 years and thats a first for us... anyway just a neat little story i though u guy might get a kick out of.

Yaaahhh!!!

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a mountain lion last night in Grant County as well. I called the local warden today to talk to him about it. He said that they are becoming a real problem in Grant County. They have basically wiped out the deer and pheasant populations. They are afraid that they will become aggressive toward hunters and bird dawgs this winter. There will most likely be an open season on them next year. He said that they think they are coming down from SW Kansas, and that the northern part of Grant County is ideal habitat for them. I think it's a cover up. I think the Wildlife Dept. and some of the locals have put their heads together and released them to cut down on the out of town posers.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what do yall consider a poser? If not being from grant co is it, than i must be one. I also hunt kansas but dont live there anymore plus i lease in nowata co and dont live there.... Hell i guess im all sorts of poser!

He said he didnt shoot one cause by the time he figured out what they were they were out of range.... As for being a fish story, if u know the area a 140inch deer aint nothing special so why make it up

Navydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
those cats are one of my biggest fears out hunting. i hunt in osage county and up until last year i thought everyone was full of bs. then i had a adult cat walk up on me when i was in my deer blind. it was one of the few times in my life i just froze. hind sight i should have shot it but at the time all i could thing of is dont move. we found a young healthy cow after that dead with its neck eaten out and the rest left

Latest posts

Top Bottom