Mt. Lion Ruined Hunt!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't wait to hear the story about the Ok wildlife dept putting Mountain lions out to controll the deer herd......The most stupid story ever....[/QUOTE]

It might sound stupid to you but I've also heard this before. Wether there is any truth to it, I guess we'll never know.

The first time I heard this was in 1998. I was hunting in Watonga on the river during muzzloading season. Early one morning I saw something I never seen before. A huge cat the color of a dear walking 100 yards from me. When I pulled the binocs up I notice a long tail damn near dragging the ground. The next month I seen it, or another one, again on some property adjacent to the previous sighting. There was no misjudging this from a bobcat.

So I called the land owner and described to him what I had seen twice now and he told me to be careful because there had been several sightings. He then called the game warden to tell him that I had seen them also. The game warden in turn told him that was ridiculous and that there was no mt. lions in Oklahoma. Drew, the landowner asked him what would happen if we dropped one off on his door step and he said we would be taken to jail. He said if we did happen on to this make beleive creature in Oklahoma and shoot it, we better let it lie where it dies.

Last year in Custer City the wildlife deparment verified that there were Mt. lions in town. A boy in town had been bottle feeding calves and two came up dead and looked like a masacre.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't get the link to work, but as stated by me, there is no doubt they live in Oklahoma. Several verified sightings, as well as dead cats that have been recovered. The only thing I'm saying is that the track in you pic appears to be canine, and probably domestic as a coyote does not have as big a track as your hand but a bird dog certainly does, and will leave toe prints as your pic does.
Trust me, I've followed many bird dogs, and seen their tracks. Could be a dog abandoned or what ever, does not have to be a bird dog, just using an example.

Weird, it works fine for me. Gotta love technology :) I think the reason I see more out of that track is myself, and two more people were able to examine the rest of the tracks. I should have took more pictures as there were tracks in firmer ground where the middle lobe was easily seen and no claw marks. Its since rained here since I took that picture so I can't go back and take more pictures. This is the fourth time I've seen these tracks on the trail of a deer. If I come across more I'll definitely be taking more pictures.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't wait to hear the story about the Ok wildlife dept putting Mountain lions out to controll the deer herd......The most stupid story ever....

It might sound stupid to you but I've also heard this before. Wether there is any truth to it, I guess we'll never know.

The first time I heard this was in 1998. I was hunting in Watonga on the river during muzzloading season. Early one morning I saw something I never seen before. A huge cat the color of a dear walking 100 yards from me. When I pulled the binocs up I notice a log tail damn near dragging the ground. The next month I seen it, or another one, again on some property adjacent to the previous sighting. There was no misjudging this from a bobcat.

So I called the land owner and described to him what I had seen twice now and he told me to be careful because there had been several sightings. He then called the game warden to tell him that I had seen them also. The game warden in turn told him that was ridiculous and that there was no mt. lions in Oklahoma. Drew, the landowner asked him what would happen if we dropped one off on his door step and he said we would be taken to jail. He said if we did happen on to this make beleive creature in Oklahoma and shoot it, we better let it lie where it dies.

Last year in Custer City the wildlife deparment verified that there were Mt. lions in town. A boy in town had been bottle feeding calves and two came up dead and looked like a masacre.[/QUOTE]

Your story is correct about the wildlife department.
At that time it was a crime to take a mountain lion.
To date that has changed.
The wildlife department has had so many calls and investigations of "Mountain lion kills",that it decided to put the lions on a varmint basis.
Shoot em as you see em, and let us know........From the date that new law came out, not one track, nor lion problem has been presented to the Wildlife Department.
Again, If you see one, take a plaster cast of the print, and call the local GW.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The first time I heard this was in 1998. I was hunting in Watonga on the river during muzzloading season. Early one morning I saw something I never seen before. A huge cat the color of a dear walking 100 yards from me. When I pulled the binocs up I notice a log tail damn near dragging the ground. The next month I seen it, or another one, again on some property adjacent to the previous sighting. There was no misjudging this from a bobcat.

Last year in Custer City the wildlife deparment verified that there were Mt. lions in town. A boy in town had been bottle feeding calves and two came up dead and looked like a masacre.

I've heard this story from three seperate individuals that do not know each other. Only difference was it was to control the booming hog population.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis - I too am tired if hearing the story about ODWC releasing lions to reduce the size of the deer herd. I personally know too many of the admin of the wildlife dept and I know that they are NOT releasing mt. lions.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Weird, it works fine for me. Gotta love technology :) I think the reason I see more out of that track is myself, and two more people were able to examine the rest of the tracks. I should have took more pictures as there were tracks in firmer ground where the middle lobe was easily seen and no claw marks. Its since rained here since I took that picture so I can't go back and take more pictures. This is the fourth time I've seen these tracks on the trail of a deer. If I come across more I'll definitely be taking more pictures.

I say let's bait this thing and see if we can trap, I'm mean get a pic, of one!

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

The wildlife department has had so many calls and investigations of "Mountain lion kills",that it decided to put the lions on a varmint basis.
Shoot em as you see em, and let us know........From the date that new law came out, not one track, nor lion problem has been presented to the Wildlife Department.
Again, If you see one, take a plaster cast of the print, and call the local GW.[/QUOTE]

I'm on a mission boys! Here Kitty Kitty Kitty!

That is pretty suprising that there hasn't been any complaints since they changed the law as you say. So, just to be perfectly clear if we shoot one then it's ok and we just need to call the GW? Do you think they would give us a permit to let us keep the hide? Just curious, it would be pretty cool.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again, If you see one, take a plaster cast of the print, and call the local GW.

I'm on a mission boys! Here Kitty Kitty Kitty!

That is pretty suprising that there hasn't been any complaints since they changed the law as you say. So, just to be perfectly clear if we shoot one then it's ok and we just need to call the GW? Do you think they would give us a permit to let us keep the hide? Just curious, it would be pretty cool.

See if this link works for you.

http://www.kxii.com/home/headlines/1859246.html

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No doubt of the 140 from Grant County. Big bucks there.
If I remember right the Captain of the NW counties told me that GC had its first B&C two years ago. Guy was on a small 7 acre plot as I remember.

i was there when the guy checked it in.... Main frame 12 went something like 186inch, have some pics of us with it somewhere and it had a story in oklahoma outdoor mag the next summer... I wouldnt say it was the first b&c from there just the first one turned in ;) ive seen some of the local boys mounts

Latest posts

Top Bottom