Mt. Lion Ruined Hunt!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard this story from three seperate individuals that do not know each other. Only difference was it was to control the booming hog population.

Oh crap, now its the hog population.......when will it ever quit???????

For everybodys information, the wildlife Departmemt has made it easier to hunt with less regulations for many years in an attempt to control the doe population that is exploding in different parts of the state.

Shoot the does!!

You can fill your freezer with meat, and let the small bucks walk for another year to grow.

I know the argument that if you don't shoot it, the neighbor will, but recent research with bucks outfitted with radio collars have proved this false.
They have their range and if one doesn't bump them too often in the beddng areas, they will stay. Just read this in Outdoor Life Magazine.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh crap, now its the hog population.......when will it ever quit???????

For everybodys information, the wildlife Departmemt has made it easier to hunt with less regulations for many years in an attempt to control the doe population that is exploding in different parts of the state.

Shoot the does!!

You can fill your freezer with meat, and let the small bucks walk for another year to grow.

I know the argument that if you don't shoot it, the neighbor will, but recent research with bucks outfitted with radio collars have proved this false.
They have their range and if one doesn't bump them too often in the beddng areas, they will stay. Just read this in Outdoor Life Magazine.

The ODWC addresses this story about mountain lions on their mountain lion page. Last couple of sentences in the story.

Definitely shoot the does. Everywhere I go I see doe tracks all over the place.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen mountain lions on a few occasions in NW Oklahoma. Twice while driving one tan and one black. The black cat was just a couple miles south of Mooreland and has been sighted by several others as well. Once while bow hunting north of Woodward in a ground blind, it was my first year to bow hunt and I was scared as hell.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen mountain lions on a few occasions in NW Oklahoma. Twice while driving one tan and one black. The black cat was just a couple miles south of Mooreland and has been sighted by several others as well. Once while bow hunting north of Woodward in a ground blind, it was my first year to bow hunt and I was scared as hell.

Theres a big misconception about mountain lions being black. That is, they can't. Its not in their genetic makeup. The two big cats that do have the genes are the leopard, and the jaguar. The latter having been native to the states before they were eradicated. However in the last few years there have been some showing up on trail cams in Arizona.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Theres a big misconception about mountain lions being black. That is, they can't. Its not in their genetic makeup. The two big cats that do have the genes are the leopard, and the jaguar. The latter having been native to the states before they were eradicated. However in the last few years there have been some showing up on trail cams in Arizona.

Well I didn't dream it. May have been the fading light but it looked like every other mountain lion I've seen except it was black.

Yaaahhh!!!

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
where was all this shoot the doe stuff when everyone giving congrats to the guy who shot the 4pt :)

That was quick.

A trophy is subjective my friend. Not everbody can spend 1 weekend in the woods, see a 140" buck, and have 2 wrestling lions run it off.

A 4 point with a bow is really doing something to some of us simple folk.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I didn't dream it. May have been the fading light but it looked like every other mountain lion I've seen except it was black.

Nah not saying you did. I'm just saying if you seen a black cat it wasn't a mountain lion. Theres lots of critters running around that shouldnt be here. All the people that own exotic cats illegally. Plus the more we encroach on big cats territories they gotta have some place to go. Down here theres been several alligators caught over the last 5 years. In fact one was caught and returned back into lake texoma.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nah not saying you did. I'm just saying if you seen a black cat it wasn't a mountain lion. Theres lots of critters running around that shouldnt be here. All the people that own exotic cats illegally. Plus the more we encroach on big cats territories they gotta have some place to go. Down here theres been several alligators caught over the last 5 years. In fact one was caught and returned back into lake texoma.

agreed. One of my co worker's wife has seen it on more than one occasion while jogging, needless to say she doesn't jog out there any more. big scary cat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom