Mt. Lion Ruined Hunt!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your always gonna have at least two different types of hunters, trophy and meat hunters. Some people sit all year and are lucky to get to see a deer, while others, like myself have the luxury of seeing several deer on any given day. (Not always) but today for instance, I took my daugter and she really wanted us to get a deer. Despite the fact that I might have a chance at a better deer I chose to shoot a young deer, granted I didn't know it was a button buck. If I would have, I would NOT have shot him. But it made for a good hunt and now she is even more into hunting.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i somewhat agree with u but that wasnt my point ...what i mean is people preach the stuff all day but when someone goes against it they tell him he did a good job... How are people going to realize the big picture when we do that

I believe that chastising a fellow sportsman for a successful hunt that they are obviously proud of goes against the silent code of sportsman.

Airic

Marksman
Reaction score
I'm more of a lurker on these forums, I love to read them but never have a whole lot to say. I thought I'd jump in on this one. After reading this post I was discussing it with some of the guys in the office, in typical small town OK style....everyone has a story. One guy went on to tell me about his encounter with one and about the famous "wildlife dept's scheme". I've heard all this before but never thought that it was such a widespread belief.

Now I do not doubt Mt. Lions live in OK, as stated in prior posts....there is proof. Why don't hunters snap a pic of one when they have these so called encounters? Would you be thinking about taking a pic if you saw that? Might end up like Timothy Treadwell.

These cats are some of the most efficient predators that live in our country. IMO, you only see them when they want you to.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Because Ive probably heard more Mt Lion stories than anyone on this forum including any old timers...Everybody I contact either has seen one or knows someone that has. Not to mention the majority have had experiences with the black/melanistic phase (which by the way the Felis concolor
is the most unlikely Feline to exhibit melanism). When I worked for MO's Cons. Dept. the story was the same about the consiparacy releasing of the cats, cucamungas, chupacabras, and rattlesnakes were dropped from helocopters. Im also calling BS on the story about the GW saying they are wiping out the deer and ditch chickens.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what do yall consider a poser? If not being from grant co is it, than i must be one. I also hunt kansas but dont live there anymore plus i lease in nowata co and dont live there.... Hell i guess im all sorts of poser!

He said he didnt shoot one cause by the time he figured out what they were they were out of range.... As for being a fish story, if u know the area a 140inch deer aint nothing special so why make it up

I'm not saying he made up the 140" deer. I'm saying he might have missed a shot (or not seen anything) and needed an excuse. I'm not saying anyones a liar, I'm just saying the story seems a bit convenient.

As fair as him not knowing what they were....seriously? What other animal looks like a frolicking baby mountain lion?

TATER

Marksman
Reaction score
Mountain lions have been in the western part of the state for a long time most of them came out of Colorado or New Mexico. They don't stray too far from major rivers, because that's how they got here. They travel up and down the Cimarron, North Canadian, South Canadian and the Arkansas Rivers.

As far as the ODWC releasing them to control the deer population why not make it "open seaon" on whitetails. With all the hunters out there the entire herd would be eradicated in a few months! Not to mention all the money the ODWC would make on licenses and tags.

okievarmint

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://bigcatrescue.blogspot.com/200...than-fact.html

By Eddie Glenn
TAHLEQUAH DAILY PRESS (TAHLEQUAH, Okla.)
TAHLEQUAH, Okla. —
Game Warden Brady May says anyone who tells you the Oklahoma Wildlife Department releases mountain lions to help control the deer population has a very limited understanding of wildlife management in this state.

“I’ve heard that one for years – as long as I’ve been a game warden,” said May. “And it’s just about as funny a joke as I’ve ever heard. The department has never owned a cat, let alone released it into the wild.”

Still, May gets quite a few reports about mountain lion sightings in northeastern Oklahoma – especially the black ones.

“Never in the history of the United States has there ever been, in captivity or in the wild, a documented black mountain lion,” he said. “But we had a wildlife expo at Guthrie last year, and one of our guys had a skins and skulls display. He put up a billboard with a map of Oklahoma and a sign that said ‘report your mountain lion sightings here.’”

May said visitors were invited to stick colored pins (the color of the pin corresponding to the color of the mountain lion sighted) on the map. The results, he said, were not surprising to the game wardens at the expo.

“They ran out of pins, and the black pins ran out first,” he said. “There wasn’t another place on the state of Oklahoma to put a pin.”

May said several species do have melanism, a genetic variation that causes some animals to have darker fur than normal. But that variation, he said, doesn’t exist in mountain lions.

So what are people seeing?

“There are about 700 to 750 black bears in Oklahoma,” said May. “It’s very possible they’re seeing a bear.”

May doesn’t doubt that people who report black mountain lion sightings have seen something. But he added that, at summer camps sponsored by the wildlife department for Oklahoma youngsters, game wardens conduct a little experiment to demonstrate just how tricky the senses can be.

Just as the sun is going down, before the campfire’s lit, all the kids stand around in a circle, facing outward. A game warden stands in the middle of the circle with a large photograph of an animal held to his chest. As each child turns around, the game warden moves the photograph into and out of his or her view. Then the kids describe what they saw. Without fail, most will say it was a photo of a cat of some sort – quite often a black mountain lion.

It’s actually a photo of a coyote

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was quick.

A trophy is subjective my friend. Not everbody can spend 1 weekend in the woods, see a 140" buck, and have 2 wrestling lions run it off.

A 4 point with a bow is really doing something to some of us simple folk.

And Im the Poser?
Well there is a reason we have "Trophy" scoring systems.... meaning not subjective. I dont mean everyone shouldnt shoot unless its going to go B&C or P&Y but its a gage to measure from.... im a bigger fan of age structure base managment not rack size anyway and thats where the killing young bucks and claiming to be a meat hunter irritates me.

By the way here is a 140 1/8 from Grants Co. thats in my living room
ai585.photobucket.com_albums_ss294_AllOut_doublebrow.jpg

And a 152 from the same land
ai585.photobucket.com_albums_ss294_AllOut_1529pt.jpg

And a 154 from right down the road the year before
ai585.photobucket.com_albums_ss294_AllOut_11point.jpg

Would u care to see more from Grant Co. that score over 140 cause they keep getting bigger:doh:

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was quick.

A trophy is subjective my friend. Not everbody can spend 1 weekend in the woods, see a 140" buck, and have 2 wrestling lions run it off.

A 4 point with a bow is really doing something to some of us simple folk.

I hope your not insinuating that im the type of guy who just hunts open day of rifle and/or muzzleloader, if so you are sadly mistaken my friend

Latest posts

Top Bottom