Mule Deer in OK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve had leases all across the Kansas line in woods county....I seen them very rarely...north West of Alva in the gypsum canyons I video a herd of 25 and later seen a 200” ish class never to be seen again...there is a small herd near lookout...they shadow the Cimarron but mostly stay on the ridges out of the bottom...had a 180” jump out in the road in front of me and do figure 8 lookn for does north of camp Houston about 3 miles....total in expected because I had never seen Muley there and they have a lot of hunting pressure there

Reaction score
Beaver County has a pretty good population and I think they have cross bred with whitetail if I remember correctly.
Yup I think that is more common than most people think...my hunting partners and I have harvested several hybrids in the nw part of the state. I’ve seen some odd combinations of deer. Big white muley face, gray coat, forked tines and a big ol white tail...lol or black face normal tines on one side forks on the other brown coat and a big white muley butt lol.most of the hybrids I seen were running with muley does. I suspect that is because a big nw Oklahoma whitetail buck will breed whatever doe he finds...muley or not. Then she drops a hybrid buck that can’t breed because he is sterile. I think this is hard on the muleys because she could have been dropping a full blood muley. When u get further west the whitetail numbers drop. I believe they tend to stick to there own breed due to less competition. That being said I have seen muley bucks chase whitetail does too... but rarely. A game warden told me 13 tested positive for muley whitetail hybrids in that county.I didn’t even know they tested for that. Or how they do that. None of my hybrids harvested were never check for such a thing...so I believe more hybrids or partial hybrids are harvested than known...the doe hybrids can breed still

Latest posts

Top Bottom