1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Multiple mags

Discussion in 'Firearms Chat' started by okierider, Mar 5, 2021.

1. HoLeChit

HoLeChit Semper Fidelis

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I’m like you @okierider, 4-6 mags and I’m good. The only exception is if there’s different capacity mags or moon clips, then I may have at least 2 hunting capacity and at least two larger for the range or whatever. And several dozen moon clips. Although I think my AR mags are making babies. Thought I had 10, and 3 for the ar10. I’m up to 23 and 5 respectively, without buying any new ones. I do try and buy replacement parts for mags as well.

2. Neanderthal

Neanderthal Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I like to have a bare minimum of 23 different magazines per firearm and loaded at all times because, well, zombies.

Seadog, thor447, okierider and 2 others like this.
  3. tRidiot

tRidiot Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I have probably 7 or 8 for my carry gun and probably 20 for my nightstand/truck gun.

I leave loaded mags in each vehicle, nightstand, next to my recliner, etc. That way if I have my carry gun or truck gun handy, I probably have some spare mags nearby if I should ever need them. I'm not super diligent in this, but I do generally keep 2-3 in each vehicle, at least.

okierider likes this.
  4. Fyrtwuck

Fyrtwuck Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    If I’m shooting at the range with a friend, I never take loaded mags. I like to be able to sit and talk for a few minutes while loading. Enjoying the fellowship. If I go to a match, I always have more than I need loaded and ready to go. Nobody wants to wait while you’re loading your mags.

Rez Exelon and druryj like this.
  5. wawazat

wawazat Sharpshooter

I probably have the most mags in AR15 - 5.56 and 1911 mags. I also have a decent stockpile of SR25 compatible mags. The AR stuff is just as I see deals and so I can have a handful of them loaded already for range outings and some that stay loaded with defense loads. The 1911 stuff was acquired as I got into 1911s about 15 years ago because it took me a while to find ones my first 1911 liked. Since then I have messed with the others to tweak here and there until they are reliable too. I try not to leave any in my cars, but always have 2 8rd mags in my hip pocket. I also keep a couple in my tool box because crawling under a car with mags digging into my hip isnt fun.

6. O4L

O4L Moderator Staff Member

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I don't have any extra magazines. In fact I never even load my magazines. I just put one in the chamber. That's all I'll ever need.

Sted-E Ed-E and HoLeChit like this.
  7. sedona

sedona Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Several years ago i bought mag springs for my G17s that were 8 dollars a piece.By the time i needed to replace the springs the followers were also getting pretty worn, so that is another dollar or more.2 years ago CDNN had a sale on G17 mags for less than 18 dollars, so i picked up a few.For $9.00 i could have a used mag or for $18.00 i could have a new mag.

8. ratski

ratski Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Disclaimer...I don't own any mags or the thingamabobs that use them...however...

Why own more mags...???

Range time is limited. Some have already mentioned this.
    Whether it is just practice or a competition, time is important and don't want to waste time loading mags. I've had a couple of times where I got into a back to back cycle and needed loaded mags quickly

I've been thru the Clinton Crime Bill times where a used standard capacity (I hate the phrase high capacity) G17 cost you $75 bucks a pop. And AR15 mags were 30-40 bux each. Hell, I can remember Uzi 32 round mags were north of 40 bux each. Extra mags when they are cheap and plentiful pay off later. I think that the current administration will be sticking it to gun and magazine owners in the very near future. Like ammo (look at THAT today) buy 'em cheap and stack 'em deep.

Also, I've had mags that broke. Either through time or stress or being dropped.
    Have the replacements available BEFORE you need them and BEFORE you aren't "allowed" to buy them.

Dave

Seadog likes this.
  9. druryj

druryj Administrator Staff Member

Administrator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I don't mind reloading my mags at the range; gives me time to analyze my target, and justify my "errors" and find something to blame besides me, and continue.

10. okierider

okierider Moderator Staff Member

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I have a get home bag in my truck with a box of 380 and a box of 357. That is the 2 I EDC. Guess I ought to put a box of nine and 45 in there as well just in case SHTF on Sunday and I am carrying one of my Nicer weapons.