Muzzle coverage on IWB holsters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carrying IWB, what is your preference about holster covering muzzle/barrel?

• Full coverage to end of muzzle

• Partial coverage, approx. to front of trigger guard

• No preference

Results are only viewable after voting.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on the pistol and the front sight. A holster that provides full muzzle coverage will protect the front sight better and tends too pull a longer-barreled handgun in a little bit tighter to your side. But in terms of IWB only, it really doesn't make much difference. For OWB, I have couple of belt slide holsters that I can use with 1911 pistols with different barrel lengths though, and don't worry about printing too much. The pic of the first setup here was made by an OSA member, (Gone_fishn). It works fine for either my full size Government model or my Commander. I wanted something I could mainly use at the range for either gun. The second pic is a full coverage Belt Scabbard by Kramer Leather specifically made just for a Commander. It really pulls the gun in tight. The third pic is a Nightingale Leather Snap Rig, OWB, again made just for a Commander. It's just a beautiful piece of leather work IMO and the fit and finish on this holster is dang near perfect...and it should be; they are like $140 and a 6-months wait. I have another one that is a cheap Tagua belt slide I think I got on eBay, it's at the bottom of the last pic. I've never even worn it yet, and probably won't. The last pic of the batch for my 1911's contains a photo at about 3 O'clock of a Milt Sparks Summer Special II for IWB and it is the ultimate in concealment for me, for this gun. I also have a really nice Kydex IWB in that last pic from RM Holsters called the Lowrider that is easy on/easy off for quick trips to the Stop-N-Rob. Nobody's really looking at your waistline area anyway, unless they are checkin' you out.

(P.S. My name is Joel and I'm a Holster Junkie).

Attachments

• GF w Govt Model.JPG
    GF w Govt Model.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 186
  • kramer scabbard.jpg
    kramer scabbard.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 181
  • Nightingale 1911.jpg
    Nightingale 1911.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 201
  • holsters.jpg
    holsters.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 185

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are going to train with you carry gear (and you should), I feel a covered muzzle is very important in an IWB holster. That muzzle will be warmer than what you want stuck inside your pants!

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are going to train with you carry gear (and you should), I feel a covered muzzle is very important in an IWB holster. That muzzle will be warmer than what you want stuck inside your pants!

True, but one doesn't always have to immediately stick that hot pistol right back in your holster and down inside your pants when finished shooting at the range. I can, however, see some training scenarios where full coverage would be a good thing indeed.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After a while I would think body oil and other skin stuff might degrade a steel slide and barrel as bluing gets older. Some of us wipe fingerprints off after we handle our firearms, same difference to me. I prefer full coverage between my skin and the metal.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
True, but one doesn't always have to immediately stick that hot pistol right back in your holster and down inside your pants when finished shooting at the range. I can, however, see some training scenarios where full coverage would be a good thing indeed.

"Shooting at the range"? or "Training" Yes, going to the local range where you cannot draw from a holster and laying it on the table after you are done should not cause a problem. Real training where you are drawing from a holster and firing rounds is a different animal. And that is what we all should be doing. I've attended 35+ instructor led training classes in the past 18 months. In all cases the guns were holstered almost intermediately after shooting a drill. I used an IWB holster in many of those classes, in some cases drawing from actual concealment as I would have to in a self-defense situation. Those drills were anywhere from 1 to 15+ rounds but on average 5-8 per string of fire. I wouldn't want that hot muzzle against my leg or crotch. I've brushed my arm against the muzzle end of the slide of a slide through OWB holstered gun several minutes after a session and it will get your attention in a hurry. If you are involved in a self defense shooting you are going to want to holster the gun as soon as the threat is cleared.
My vote is still for a full coverage holster when used IWB.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I make mine full coverage, whether IWB (especially IWB) or OWB. Of course, if someone wants a belt slide, I'll do it.

But, I prefer to protect the finish of the pistol as much as possible/practical. Any skin to metal contact is going to be a problem over time. Even if you look at the Crossbreed style holsters, the leather portion is long enough to provide a barrier between gun and skin. Not to mention, as others have, protection of the front sight.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Shooting at the range"? or "Training" Yes, going to the local range where you cannot draw from a holster and laying it on the table after you are done should not cause a problem. Real training where you are drawing from a holster and firing rounds is a different animal. And that is what we all should be doing. I've attended 35+ instructor led training classes in the past 18 months. In all cases the guns were holstered almost intermediately after shooting a drill. I used an IWB holster in many of those classes, in some cases drawing from actual concealment as I would have to in a self-defense situation. Those drills were anywhere from 1 to 15+ rounds but on average 5-8 per string of fire. I wouldn't want that hot muzzle against my leg or crotch. I've brushed my arm against the muzzle end of the slide of a slide through OWB holstered gun several minutes after a session and it will get your attention in a hurry. If you are involved in a self defense shooting you are going to want to holster the gun as soon as the threat is cleared.
My vote is still for a full coverage holster when used IWB.

In the case of training as described, then I absolutely agree with you. Yep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use a versacarry on many different pistols. Cheap, and they work. must be removed to holster, but no big deal to me. Alllows me to immediately carry whatever pistol I have purchased and is reliable and keeps the pistol where I put it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom