My AR blew up on me today...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2) Since you cant double charge a .223 case with appropriate powders that wasn't it. That doesn't mean that the wrong powder wasn't used though. I saw pics of a billet upper that grenaded just like that due to HS6 powder getting mixed with his BLC2. (they look similar)
Another possibility is an undercharge. I remember reading about this in the late '80s or early '90s; as I recall, if the charge was small enough with the right powder, the primer flash hole could be left exposed, so the primer flash could ignite the powder across a much larger surface area than in a properly-charged round, resulting in detonation instead of ignition. One of the pictures I recall was of a revolver with the topstrap peeled forward like a banana and the top of the cylinder gone.

I don't recall if this was something that affected rifle rounds, or if it was a handgun caliber-only phenomenon. I do remember that the type of powder was important...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another possibility is an undercharge. I remember reading about this in the late '80s or early '90s; as I recall, if the charge was small enough with the right powder, the primer flash hole could be left exposed, so the primer flash could ignite the powder across a much larger surface area than in a properly-charged round, resulting in detonation instead of ignition. One of the pictures I recall was of a revolver with the topstrap peeled forward like a banana and the top of the cylinder gone.

I don't recall if this was something that affected rifle rounds, or if it was a handgun caliber-only phenomenon. I do remember that the type of powder was important...

Interesting theory. If it happened it would have to be about the powder.

I know some gamers in USPSA that have tried to load minor loads right at the bottom of the power factor. So low that they have to shake their guns in an upright position to get enough powder around the primer to make enough velocity when shooting through the qualifier chronograph.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

You are thinking of Win 296/H110 being loaded too light. The manufacturer warns not to reduce charges below their data because it supposedly will detonate or something along those lines. Never seen it happen and never talked to anyone that has seen it to my knowledge and I've loaded a bunch of that powder. I've just heard the rumors.

I've never heard of such a thing in a rifle caliber. Just getting bullets stuck in the barrel from too light of a load.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so since we are ruling out headspace as the issue, then what would have caused the case to seperate??? Weak brass??? Or something went wrong in the loading process.

Latest posts

Top Bottom