My First 1911... Gold Cup National Match

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The full length guide rod doesn't really do much for accuracy. It is suppose to prevent the recoil spring from binding which really isn't a problem anyway.

As for disassembly: You should be able to push the guide rod plug in and turn the bushing just like the GI version. This will relieve the spring tension. Be careful not to shoot the plug across the room.

DC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks... what's the best place to order this? assuming no one local has this.
the group gripper is a major pita to disassemble. if there's no advantage, it's got to go.

OPS (Oklahoma Police Supply) has a pretty good selection of 1911 parts. Go see Eric and he will fix you up.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
been reading conflicting opinions... loads of folks say it doesn't do anything for accuracy... sellers of course claim otherwise.

already done shot the bushing out :gun1:
man it was fun finding it...

DC...thanks for the OPS tip... will make a parts hunting trip.
much rather support our local folks first... before ordering out.

barrel lugs to slide fit is good and tight. ramps are nicely polished and in correct alignment. starting to notice little things like magazine moves a tiny bit when trigger is engaged. this means internal trigger bracket is touching mag. that will be addressed when I do a trigger job.

The full length guide rod doesn't really do much for accuracy. It is suppose to prevent the recoil spring from binding which really isn't a problem anyway.

As for disassembly: You should be able to push the guide rod plug in and turn the bushing just like the GI version. This will relieve the spring tension. Be careful not to shoot the plug across the room.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
been reading conflicting opinions... loads of folks say it doesn't do anything for accuracy... sellers of course claim otherwise..
Let's put things into perspective.....
Say for example accuracy is either directly mechanically influenced or indirectly by shooter response/involvement.....Are you a good enough shooter to even notice the difference?
Just something to think about.
;)

DC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
been reading conflicting opinions... loads of folks say it doesn't do anything for accuracy... sellers of course claim otherwise.

already done shot the bushing out :gun1:
man it was fun finding it...

DC...thanks for the OPS tip... will make a parts hunting trip.
much rather support our local folks first... before ordering out.

barrel lugs to slide fit is good and tight. ramps are nicely polished and in correct alignment. starting to notice little things like magazine moves a tiny bit when trigger is engaged. this means internal trigger bracket is touching mag. that will be addressed when I do a trigger job.

CY....a litle more background for you. Eric is a 5 gun IDPA master and sponsored by Wilson Combat. He knows the 1911 inside and and out almost as good as John May. in my honest opinion you could elicit no better advice and help unless you talked to the great John Browning or Bill Wilson themselves...

JMO YMMV

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
been thinking this out... the long guide doesn't add accuracy, but doesn't hurt anything. other than making it harder to service.

sure my longer guide is a pita... but I've just about got it figured out.
think I'm going to good old fashion, shoot it as is for a few hundred rounds.

everyone... thanks for all the help!
all this may be old hat to you folks...as you can tell... I'm a newbie to 1911's.

--------

So here's how I feel about full-length guide rods. If the gun comes with one-- and it doesn't cost extra-- I won't take it out. But if I've got a choice, Mr. Browning's original will do just fine for me.

FWIW, I have a Les Baer that has an "accuracy guarantee" (1.5 at 25yrds?) that has a GI plug.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_147_24/ai_62655365/

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So here's how I feel about full-length guide rods. If the gun comes with one-- and it doesn't cost extra-- I won't take it out. But if I've got a choice, Mr. Browning's original will do just fine for me.

If it's a 2 piece guide rod and if you care about reliability then you should remove it. They can and will work their way loose. IF it's a range gun then no worries. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom