My First Hog Hunting Experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGJAKE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a friend here that is a member of the Sportsmans Club and he and I along with some other friends went out to their DOK lease this last weekend. This trip was the first time that I have ever seen a hog in the wild. We hunted in the mornings and evenings and finally on Saturday night about 15 minutes before official sundown my other friend that went with us and I stumbled upon a nest of hogs. We saw at least one boar and four sows come into an opening from under a black berry thicket about 30 yards in front of us. I called him up to me so we could both get a shot at them. We began to take them when we thought they were all in the open. I was using my Bushmaster A4 (pictured) and he had his SKS. I was able to drop two of the sows that were in front of me and hit another one in the rear quarter that got back up after a slide and kept going, we did not retrieve the third one unfortunately. That was the biggest rush that I have ever had in the field to date. To walk up within a stones throw of a group like that was amazing. I will definitely be going again but we will probably wait for some cooler weather before we go out again. Holy crap was it hot out there! I have attached the pics of the hogs and one with me and my AR pigslayer.

Attachments

• 100_4073.JPG
    100_4073.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 241
  • 100_4074.JPG
    100_4074.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 209
  • 100_4078.JPG
    100_4078.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 297

batchman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well now BigJake I seem to remeber to the first night we were there and you had and 175 yard shot on a pig in the open that you missed. Funny I did not see that in the story????? I'm just messing with you you did great that is the best hunt I have ever been on so far with many more to come. Oh Yea and for the record I missed at 30 yards?

BIGJAKE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well now BigJake I seem to remeber to the first night we were there and you had and 175 yard shot on a pig in the open that you missed. Funny I did not see that in the story????? I'm just messing with you you did great that is the best hunt I have ever been on so far with many more to come. Oh Yea and for the record I missed at 30 yards?

That miss was all my fault for sure. My rifle is a tack driver and I definately pulled that one but, I also left out that I put a 2" group at 450 yards with the same scoped K31 that I missed the 175 yard shot with. I will be the first one to admit that I need to work on my field shooting skills. I hope we can get out and begin to practice on those skills soon so it will begin to become second nature for us and be able to make those easy shots from 30 yards out to 300 yards plus on whatever we are hunting. Practice makes perfect!

batchman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes I did forget to mention the 2inch group but you know I had give you a little grieve since you are my shooting idol, and we do need to shoot that realistic hunting course that was in F&S for sure like I said I missed a 35 yard shot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom