My First Kydex Holster!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesensei

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I've made a number of leather holsters that have turned out very well, so I decided to take the plunge and try my hand at Kydex as well! Here is the result (this is the first piece of Kydex I've ever cut, much less tried to mold!):

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
nice! I love kydex. I made a copycat of the crossbreed supertuck a while back and I was pleased with how it turned out, and how relatively easy it is to work with. I want to do something similar for a spare mag holder sometime soon, and maybe for my wife's skyy if I can convince her that we need to get CC permits :P

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where are you guys getting your Kydex from. I ordered some a couple of years ago but was not happy with the price I paid.

I need to make a holster for the Ruger LCR I picked up so I can carry it.

TheSanDiegoKid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, very cool, I have a whole mess of that stuff at my work, how do you mold it?? The kydex I have is tan in color but if I was to try and make a holster I would want it in black like you did but I guess I could get a lot of practice in with the tan stuff. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

thesensei

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Set your oven to 300; bake it for about 5-6 minutes, until it has the consistency of wet leather. Use gloves to mold it (yes, it's hot!), and let it cool (a press helps here)! You can also use a heat gun to work on specific areas. That's a very simplified quicky tutorial!

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah, I redneck engineered a press with some camping mat (the blue stuff you sleep on) and plywood, and stood on it with my 200 pound self, lol. I still had to fine tune it with a heatgun a little though.

http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91419

offtopic, but where/what style do you practice sensei? I practiced TKD in another state for about 11 years, and I've been looking for something different to get into.

Nanotech9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
skip the oven and use a heat gun. preferably one with a big and small nozzle.

use sheet metal forming pliers to keep large areas flat that you want flat.

Fill out to the rear of things like slide release levers, safeties, etc... dont want them dragging on the way out.

fill in the ejection port with cardboard or something else. Dont want a dimple there - it'll drag a wear line down the slide.

use a piece of rubber hose between the two sides and run your screw through that - it applies pressure for the bolt to push against and set a more exact tension on the gun.

Example of the rubber seen here in a mag holster i made:

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom