My first time shooting Extended Long Range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I met up with some buddies from my old church yesterday to do some fun long range shooting. After we finished shooting the easy distances (out to 700 yds) the land owner set up the gongs at 1,500 and 1,760 yds. We had to move further back on the property to get these ranges and had an elevated advantage to the targets across a wheat pasture. The targets where further beyond the wheat pasture and a creek sitting against a grass pasture.

I was able to connect on the 1,500 yard target and wanted to join the mile club by shooting the 1,760 yard target. Talk about humbling, you wouldn’t think 260 yards would make that much of a difference. We had what looked like 3 different wind directions. The wind was blowing at our five-o’clock (5-11mph) from our shooting position. Mirage was a nine-o’clock flat wave across the wheat pasture and the wind streamer on the target was three-o’clock and swirling. I had several, “man you almost hit it” moments but I never could get a hit. I probably shot 30 rounds. To shoot ELR, you better have great reloads, advantageous weather conditions, and be on you’re A-game shooting. I failed at all three.

I was shooting a 7wsm 180gr Berger VLD at 2,907fps. The bullet was subsonic at around 1,600 yards. Time of flight was about 3 seconds with a bullet drop of over 102 feet.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well that's just unacceptable JCann, just unacceptable. Sheesh. Cmon. I mean.......what's so difficult? Lol
Sounds fun anyhow. Atleast you got an opportunity to try. I bet it won't be your last chance.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well that's just unacceptable JCann, just unacceptable. Sheesh. Cmon. I mean.......what's so difficult? Lol
Sounds fun anyhow. Atleast you got an opportunity to try. I bet it won't be your last chance.

One of the guys was shooting a 6.5 CM with Hornady 140gr ELD-M Match ammo in a custom rifle. He did ever bit as good as I did at the mile target. I'm not saying he shot bad....I'm saying that little round, with proper reloads, is capable of going that distance. There were times we didn't see our bullet splash in the dirt but we couldn't tell if the gong moved due to the mirage. We should have repainted them before we set them further out.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A buddy of mine in Cali is in the Southwest ULR club. Here's his .416 Barrett ( second pic of the .416 is without the Heritage Arms scope mount)
123_1.jpg

123_1001.jpg

and his .338
123_1 (1).jpg

123_1002.jpg

http://southwestulr.com/

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wonder how a 26 Nosler would do. Shortened 404 Jeffry necked down to a 6.5mm. Has more velocity at 400 yards than a 260 Remington at the barrel.

With Hornady's 153gr A tip I'm sure it would do just fine shooting well of 3000 fps. You would probably want to buy stock in a barrel manufacturing company, it's a big time overbore cartridge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom