my garand at the range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
todd, i feel like my loads were a little hot for the old girl. i was loading what i had on hand. 168 gr a-max and 46 gr of imr 4895. i forgot my camera and only had my ancient cell phone and can't get the pics to load from it. at 50 yrds i got about a 2.5 inch group with a couple of called flyers. went out to 100 and could cover all shots with a dollar bill. not bad considering i need a new rest!
i may try backing my load down but am out of a lot of my rifle powders at the moment. so far, i'm very pleased though.

did seem to notice a little vertical stringing but that is probably just me.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
todd, i feel like my loads were a little hot for the old girl. i was loading what i had on hand. 168 gr a-max and 46 gr of imr 4895. i forgot my camera and only had my ancient cell phone and can't get the pics to load from it. at 50 yrds i got about a 2.5 inch group with a couple of called flyers. went out to 100 and could cover all shots with a dollar bill. not bad considering i need a new rest!
i may try backing my load down but am out of a lot of my rifle powders at the moment. so far, i'm very pleased though.

did seem to notice a little vertical stringing but that is probably just me.

My load is 46.5 grains IMR 4895 with 168 gr SMK. I have never shot AMax's thru my Garand.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My load is 46.5 grains IMR 4895 with 168 gr SMK. I have never shot AMax's thru my Garand.

thats good to know. have you crono'd that load? i will crono these at my lease so i can take my time. still would like to try some 150's and a possible reduced load.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Be careful shooting hand loads through a M1 Garand, especially if you think they're a bit hot. That could result in a bent op rod. Best to shoot USGI ammo, or duplicate the USGI recipe as closely as possible. Even downloading may still result in a pressure curve not suitable for a M1. Now if you're using an adjustable gas plug, you should be OK.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thats good to know. have you crono'd that load? i will crono these at my lease so i can take my time. still would like to try some 150's and a possible reduced load.

No, I've not shot it over a chronograph. My Lyman 48 shows 43 grains IMR4895 at 2444 fps and a max load of 48.5 at 2762 fps. My 46.5 is a somewhat middle of the road load. I've always thought that if you kept the fps under 2700 with a 150 to 168 grain bullet you should be ok in a Garand.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, from what i have read, 2700 seems to be the magic number. i'm trying to be careful on my loading. the last thing i want is a bent rod. i'm looking for an all-around load for our bolt guns as well as the garand. i don't want to hotrod the bolt guns either. i seem to get bast accuracy with them at less than factory loads.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hornady Garand Match load is 46.5gns of Varget and a 168 Amax. I loaded this up with HXP brass and F210M's and it shot quite well at 100, posting on 1.25" of vertical spread x 5" of horizontal. Now that sounds crummy, and I agree it isnt stellar, I havent shot my poor Garand in a year and a half, so I was relatively pleased. It is at least a starting point for improvement. But, the important thing is that the load itself seemed consistent. All brass was neatly coveyed up in pile. I will chrono the next batch and try to remember to post results. To me, the 168 amax load is a perfect do all bullet in this rifle. I have zero problems hunting paper or piggys with this load.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds good huckleberry,i'll post chrono results soon. i did notice horizontal stringing also. my vertical spread was around 2 inches as well. anyone know why we are getting the stringing?

Latest posts

Top Bottom