my garand at the range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A rear hand guard that's too tight can cause vertical stringing. Make sure there's a slight bit of fore-aft play; the hand guard should rattle just a tiny bit. That's where I'd start.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I'm bringing this back up because I was installing a ported gas plug from garandgear. the original plug was loose and had actually worked out a thread or so. would this have caused the stringing or any damage to the oprod?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm bringing this back up because I was installing a ported gas plug from garandgear. the original plug was loose and had actually worked out a thread or so. would this have caused the stringing or any damage to the oprod?

Hmm. I'm not sure, but I'd suspect that just one or two threads wouldn't be a big issue. If anything, it might cause excessive venting of the gas and weaker ejection of the spent round. The op rod would have had less pressure acting on it as well, so I wouldn't expect it to be damaged. Whether or not it'd cause the vertical stringing, I don't know. Did you check to make sure the hand guard wasn't binding?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
todd, I returned to the tight handguard issue. what is the best way to fix this problem?

First, try moving the rear hand guard back and forth (along the barrel) with everything installed. If you can slide it about the thickness of a credit card, there's enough play and you'd move on to other causes for the stringing. In this case, check the tightness of the gas cylinder lock - ideally, you'd be able to spin it onto the barrel and get close to "finger tight", then back off enough that you can install the gas lock screw. You do NOT want to force the gas lock tighter until it lines up with the gas cylinder, because that can cause vertical stringing. It's actually preferable for the lock to be a bit loose than a bit tight. By the way, a too-tight lock can also cause the rear HG to bind up. If the lock is OK, then check your rear sight; try adjusting the aperture to max elevation, then push down on the aperture with your thumb. If it slides down under light to moderate pressure, that could be the problem - the aperture could be shifting slightly after each shot fired. Next, check the tension of the sight cover; ideally, it'd be nice and tight. If it's loose, it could allow some play to creep into the rear sight assembly.

Try all those first before removing the rear HG, as that's a delicate procedure; do it wrong, and the HG can crack or even split into two. Let us know what you find out!

Latest posts

Top Bottom