My Kentucky Long Rifle Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a great idea! So let me get this straight...freeze the tenon pins and heat up the tenons (while installed on the barrel) like with a heat gun? Then quickly slap that barrel with the heated tenons down in the channel in the stock and then quickly tap the frozen pins in through the stock?

Is that right? :scratch:
Yep, that's the general idea. ;)

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What? Me? Lose a small tiny part like the safety plunger spring for a G19? Or the same thing for a Kimber Micro .380? Or a thin, custom Hogue grip screw for a Sig M11-A1 for which I have no spare? Or the extractor plunger/safety detent spring for a vintage PPK/S? Or .... etc.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
One more thought...

When you have close-fitting metal parts, you can freeze the inner part and heat the outer part (even a small amount, like with a hair dryer) to gain a bit more temporary clearance when assembling.
:drunk2:

I used a torch/heat gun dozens of times on bearings to slide over a shaft without a press using that method, works great.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some light filing/sanding today...was too lazy too do much else. Will pick up on it tomorrow and see if I can't get the sights and barrel tenons installed.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What? Me? Lose a small tiny part like the safety plunger spring for a G19? Or the same thing for a Kimber Micro .380? Or a thin, custom Hogue grip screw for a Sig M11-A1 for which I have no spare? Or the extractor plunger/safety detent spring for a vintage PPK/S? Or .... etc.
Sometimes doing this type work inside a clear plastic bag works. Just don't let it slip over your head.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes doing this type work inside a clear plastic bag works. Just don't let it slip over your head.

I know, and I have a nice big clear plastic bag. But I just think “not this time; this will be easy to get this spr....”

“Sproing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My sis brought us one of those giant plastic containers of cheeseballs a few years ago, and I kept the container for the purpose of making a dome to work under from both ends for tiny stuff. I still have it.

Unfortunately, it managed to get filled up with other stuff before I got around to cutting one side out... :hithead:

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Took the day off from building yesterday; today, I 'm going to the range to shoot! I'll get back on this project tomorrow...am not in a hurry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom