My M1 Garand from CMP finally arrived

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just heard from CMP. They offered to switch my order from an HRA (that will take several more weeks to deliver) over to a Springfield they can ship in a day or two. I took them up on it.

Nice! Everyone I've heard of that's done that has been pleased. Apparently they're getting a few Springfields in the batch they're working through but not enough to advertise so are offering them this way to whoever happens to come up next on the list when they're ready. Lucky you!

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice! Everyone I've heard of that's done that has been pleased. Apparently they're getting a few Springfields in the batch they're working through but not enough to advertise so are offering them this way to whoever happens to come up next on the list when they're ready. Lucky you!

This happened to me several months ago with my order for an HRA M1; as I was trying to complete my quartet of US manufacturers of the M1, I declined the offer to switch to an SA M1 since I already have that. It only took another month before my HRA rifle showed up.

I'm interested in hearing whether mathom gets a post-war SA M1, or if he scores with a WW2 SG.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Will let you know what shows up. Getting excited.

Want to get a few more enbloc clips. Fleabay as good a place as any?

BTW, in the can of HXP ammo that I got, there were a few Canadian Verdun 1945 rounds. My guess is they toss them in to bring the weight up to shipping specs. There were 209 rounds in the can total. Mostly 1977 mfg.

I had read somewhere that that some collectors want the Canadian stuff. Suppose that is true?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The CMP en bloc clips, from what I hear, are quite serviceable if you don't care about their provenance. Be careful of the eBay clips, as some of them are Chinese and don't work as well. If you're going to the Wanenmacher show the weekend after this one, you can find en bloc clips everywhere. Just be sure to check the stamped codes if they're labeled "USGI" and don't spend more than $2-3 per USGI clip.

The HXP ammo can contain a number of other head stamps; it's luck of the draw. Lately, my orders have been all HXP, dated 70, 77, and 78; but last year, I got several head stamps in the same can. Winchester, Frankford, Remington, Western Cartridge, and Twin Cities. I've gotten VC on occasion, but I don't know if they're of special interest. Not to me, anyway - I just sort them out by maker and repack the cans.

boomer mooner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just read through this whole thread. Never even heard of CMP before. I was just looking at their order form and apparantly you have to be a member of a CMP affiliated gun club. Does anyone know if the OKC gun club is affiliated?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just read through this whole thread. Never even heard of CMP before. I was just looking at their order form and apparantly you have to be a member of a CMP affiliated gun club. Does anyone know if the OKC gun club is affiliated?

Not only is the OKCGC affiliated with the CMP, they've also hosted the annual CMP Games these past couple of years.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My M1 arrived yesterday. Post war...early 50's production. Metal darn near perfect and wood in great shape too. Gas plug doesn't even show any handling scatches. Muzzle gauged 1+ and the throat 2+. Will post a pic when I can get around to it.
Mixed feelings. This later production gun is in great shape but an older one would have had more cool factor. Had I waited on the H&R...who knows what it would have been.
ODCMP site no longer shows H&R service grade guns available but does show Springfields again. When I ordered it was the reverse...no Springers available. They way they are bouncing that around makes me think supply is about done.
If you are going to order....DO IT.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My M1 arrived yesterday. Post war...early 50's production. Metal darn near perfect and wood in great shape too. Gas plug doesn't even show any handling scatches. Muzzle gauged 1+ and the throat 2+. Will post a pic when I can get around to it.
Mixed feelings. This later production gun is in great shape but an older one would have had more cool factor. Had I waited on the H&R...who knows what it would have been.
ODCMP site no longer shows H&R service grade guns available but does show Springfields again. When I ordered it was the reverse...no Springers available. They way they are bouncing that around makes me think supply is about done.
If you are going to order....DO IT.

An HRA would likely have been similar to your SA, as it would have been produced during the same time frame. But as you said, it's kind of a crap shoot as to what you do get through mail order. Currently, the CMP is working through a batch of US Army depot returns (as opposed to overseas returns), so yours probably is one of those. Had I known that would happen, I'd have put in an order for several of those! As it is, any order I place now would be drawn from who knows what source they have on deck at the time.

The "bouncing around" just means the CMP is really swamped with mail orders, and they haven't had a chance to build up a reserve of each maker / grade to offer for sale. They don't have enough people to uncrate, sort, clean, and grade all the rifles they still have in inventory - they're simply sending most of what they do have straight to mail orders, at the best speed possible. It happens that the next batch of crates will only have HRA's, or SA's, and the CMP has to fill orders as best as they can. Occasionally, they'll accumulate a dozen or two WRA's, and those go to the stores, which happened about two weeks ago. Those rifles disappeared pretty fast, too.

My guess is the CMP has 12-18 months of supply left, barring any other significant infusions of rifles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom