My New Ruger Scout Carbine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All right, sports fans, I went over to my farm bright and early this morning, thinking to get there before my uncle and cousin got there to feed the cattle and I was. However, it was also very cold and for that reason, I just put twenty rounds through the rifle before I simply got too cold.

First let me describe the rifle itself. It is a modified Ruger Model 77, which is a Mauser-type action, and it looks to be a very sturdy and robust rifle, that is only offered (so far) in 308 Winchester. The barrel is about 16" and has a flash suppressor. The sights are a standard post front sight with protective ears on either side and a peep rear. The stock is an attractive laminated wood and the length of pull is adjustable by means of spacers that are furnished with it. The checkering is sharp and provides a good grip. A Picatinny rail is attached to the rear of the barrel in front of the receiver, so that an aimpoint, or other similar sight can be installed if desired.

The rifle is a joy to shoot. Because it is so new, the bolt was a trifle hard to manipulate but that should go away as I put more rounds through it.

Now, I want to be up front about something: I am an abysmal rifle shot. Even with this being the case, I was still able to keep all (well, almost all) of the rounds on target, shooting off-hand. The range was fairly short, but keep my rifle marksmanship in mind.

I have some really old Federal American Eagle 150 gr. .308 Winchester that I decided to put through the rifle for the first session and the recoil was surprisingly manageable.

Now, with all of this going for it, is the rifle perfect? No, it isn't. The sore point for me is the magazine which is very similar to that used on the CZ Model 527 that I have. The ten round magazines are slow to load, and they are expensive. Yet, that is the only way that the rifle can be shot and to put out a decent rate of fire requires more than the one factory magazine that is furnished with the carbine. Having several and have them loaded before you go shooting would be the way to go here.

If this rifle takes off like I think that it just might, then some enterprising soul may take it upon himself to make an after-market magazine that is as good as the factory original but is not quite so expensive.

All-in-all, I am very favorably impressed with this little rifle despite what I see as the design flaw concerning the magazine.

awww.ruger.com_products_gunsiteScoutRifle_images_6803.jpg

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would not be concerned with velocity loss, I am wondering about accuracy when the barrel heats up. How about running 10 quick shots through it and posting a pic of your target?

A couple of problems doing that. One is that I don't have a digital camera, and the main one is that like I noted in the OP, I am an abysmal rifle shot.

JW/OK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess you could bring it up here and let me break it in for you and I will provide a range report! Seriously that is a handy looking little carbine. You keep shooting and you might get better at it.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmmmm...one online review stated, "AICS style magazine," so perhaps Ruger is just making the barrelled action and buying COTS (so to speak) mag and trigger guard assemblies from AICS...?

Dunno. I was thrilled to get 3 extra 10 rounders for my Steyr at $50/ea. Its worth it, if it will be a keeper for you.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is so cool. I've been hoping someone would buy and post on this rifle. I hope it turns out well, but I too am a non-MOA rifle shooter, so maybe someone can help wring performance out of this thing for you, for the full report.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is so cool. I've been hoping someone would buy and post on this rifle. I hope it turns out well, but I too am a non-MOA rifle shooter, so maybe someone can help wring performance out of this thing for you, for the full report.

My gunsmith, who is in Ark City, Kansas, and who got it for me will shoot it Monday. I'll ask him to do his own review on the Kans,as concealed carry forum and then I'll C&P it to here.
Incidentally, I ordered three more magazines for it from Ruger, and I am in the process of designing a quick-loading device for the magazines.

Latest posts

Top Bottom