My New Ruger Scout Carbine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last Sunday I was doing some shooting with my Scout and when I was removing one of the loaded magazines from a GI 20 Round magazine holder, the floorplate came out and it, the spring and follower all sprang out with considerable force.
I was able to find everything and re-assemble it, but I was wondering just how commoon this problem might be.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got mine in finally ! Man what a sweet rifle , shoots nice although really loud with short barrel but all in all nice fit and finish. Think I found a new "truck gun " short ,light, handy, and accurate enough for what I'll use it for think I'm just gonna run iorn sights. Hope to find the five round mags. Put roughly 60 rounds through it Saturday and was really pleased. Really like being able to add spacers to make the lop long enough to comfortably shoot off hand ! Can't wait to accuracy and chrony test it out !!! Was able to hit several clay piegons at 100 + yds off hand w iorn sights that's good enough for me. May put a Burris scout on her later on but for now keeping it simple is good enough for me !!

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the scout concept too. I see Ruger is offering 5 round mags and they have the gun in left hand too.

Savage has a model 10 FCM Scout that I would want to try before I bought this one. It doesn't have but a four round mag and a 20 inch barrel. The Savage has ghost ring sights and a barrel scope mount.

A reminton pump carbine with the right sights would make a good scout rifle platform too. That is basically what the model 7615 in .223 is and you can use AR mags in it.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last Sunday I was doing some shooting with my Scout and when I was removing one of the loaded magazines from a GI 20 Round magazine holder, the floorplate came out and it, the spring and follower all sprang out with considerable force.
I was able to find everything and re-assemble it, but I was wondering just how commoon this problem might be.

I contacted Ruger Customer Service, and they said this was the first report of this. Has this happened to anyone else?

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the scout concept too. I see Ruger is offering 5 round mags and they have the gun in left hand too.

Savage has a model 10 FCM Scout that I would want to try before I bought this one. It doesn't have but a four round mag and a 20 inch barrel. The Savage has ghost ring sights and a barrel scope mount.

A reminton pump carbine with the right sights would make a good scout rifle platform too. That is basically what the model 7615 in .223 is and you can use AR mags in it.

OT, but does Remington still make the 7615? I have one and when I asked for a new owner's manual for it, they sent me one for the 7600, which was not the same thing. I have not found any information for it on their website, so I was wondering.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think they do still make the 7615. Even the 7600 in a carbine lenght would be a good scout type gun. I looks like the carbine lenght 7600 is not available new also. I have a 7600 30.06 and it is a quick handling gun even with a 22" barrel.

Put a forward low power scope on any quick handling gun and you have a "scout gun". The way I understand Cooper's scout concept the winchester 94 could fill the bill. He wanted enough power for anything, even hunting, and the forward low power scope would allow rapid sight aquisition with both eyes open.

I know that Ruger got it right.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
~snip~

I know that Ruger got it right.

I think that they did too. I love mine. As a matter of fact, I think I'll shoot mine pretty soon, like one day this week. A reminder: Ruger CS has told me that Mil-Spec ammunition is all right in the Scout.

Latest posts

Top Bottom