My New Ruger Scout Carbine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting article....quite a bit of arguable and down right false information in it.

"..the .308 Winchester is powerful enough to stop a car with one shot at 200 yards."

I LOL'd at that one.

The scout is a neat rifle though. If I had room in the budget it might get added to the stable....

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i will admit they look cool...kinda like a Enfield Jungle Carbine. BUT it seems like there are better options out there.
Yeah, now that you mention it, it does bring a Jungle Carbine to mind, doesn't it?

ETA That reminds me: there used to be a firm in Australia that made a very close replica of the JC in 7.62 Soviet. But they seem to have gone TU.

Last edited:

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For my Scout rifle I'm going with a Spanish FR-8. It already has aperture sights, adjustable for 100-400m; a 17.75" barrel threaded with a flash hider; feeds from strippers instead of expensive and slow-loading mags; and already has left side sling hookups for a 2-point. All it needs is an XS scout mount and it will be good to go with either a co-witnessed aimpoint or scout scope. Oh and maybe a turn-down bolt handle. It will probably end up costing about half what a GSR Scout would. The only thing the Ruger will have on it is accuracy... but as long as I can get it to shoot 2 MOA I will be happy. Should be a fun project.

OKMike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got my Ruger polymer mag for the GSR the other day, 3 round almost flush fit and you can top load it thru the action. I like it alot. Also have the alpha industries 10 rounder, shorter than the factory 10 rounder as it is a double stack that transitions to a single feed. I like it too.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got my Ruger polymer mag for the GSR the other day, 3 round almost flush fit and you can top load it thru the action. I like it alot. Also have the alpha industries 10 rounder, shorter than the factory 10 rounder as it is a double stack that transitions to a single feed. I like it too.

I just ordered four of the 10-rnd polymer magazines from Ruger. I wonder if they are the same way--able to load them through the top.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For my Scout rifle I'm going with a Spanish FR-8. It already has aperture sights, adjustable for 100-400m; a 17.75" barrel threaded with a flash hider; feeds from strippers instead of expensive and slow-loading mags; and already has left side sling hookups for a 2-point. All it needs is an XS scout mount and it will be good to go with either a co-witnessed aimpoint or scout scope. Oh and maybe a turn-down bolt handle. It will probably end up costing about half what a GSR Scout would. The only thing the Ruger will have on it is accuracy... but as long as I can get it to shoot 2 MOA I will be happy. Should be a fun project.
That is something that you might want to reconsider. I am informed that the Spanish Mausers were designed for the 7.62mm CETME round, which is dimensionally identical with 7.62mm NATO and the 308 Winchester, but which is loaded to much lower pressures. Thus you might be shooting far hotter ammunition in the rifle than it was designed for.

The only thing the Ruger will have on it is accuracy...

If what I say is so, then the Ruger will also be much, much stronger, hence safer. I could very well be wrong, but I suggest that you at least check it out before you make a substantial investment in the Spanish rifle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom