My Ram pickup won't shift out of 4th gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gone_fishn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 2012 Ram seams to be stuck in 4th gear. It will go to drive for a second and then goes to 4th gear. I can't shift it up or down from the manual shift button. It will go into reverse, but it shifts hard when it does. Anybody know anything about this?

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check your warranty coverage on it - might still be covered under powertrain warranty; Dodge's was 5 yr./100,000 miles back then I believe.

Gone_fishn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check your warranty coverage on it - might still be covered under powertrain warranty; Dodge's was 5 yr./100,000 miles back then I believe.
That went out in February, after a little research, I think it may be the shift solenoid. I'm not sure but I need to service the transmission anyway. I hate to buy the part if that isn't it though.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just checked and it says it's the shift solenoid. Apparently there's no aftermarket part, so I'll have to get one from Dodge. That'll make it cost more!!

Also check the part number through Amazon. Seriously, I found my window switch was made by Dorman and the part number. Amazon had it for $19. Ford wanted $47 for the same exact item. Amazon can save you a ton of money on car parts. Also got a factory FoMoCo fan assembly for $69. It was over $400 from the dealer. Google up the part numbers and dig a little.

Latest posts

Top Bottom