National Postal Meter M1 Carbine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe you guys can help me out. I am no kind of "carbine guy", but need an approximate value on this carbine for insurance.

What it is. It is a M1 Carbine in unissued condition made by National Postal Meter. The stock has been refinished with linseed oil and it has a repair to the "high wood" area that can't be seen from the outside, matter of fact you wouldn't even know unless you field stripped it. All the stuff matches (that was made by N.P.) and is stamped with a N.P. the stock was made by Trimbol Nursery and is so marked, barrel is from Underwood (which is correct for the piece) it is a very early issue with no bayonet lug and has a flip sight, not the latter dial sight. there are virtually no marks in the Parkerizing, and only a couple little nics on the butt plate. From all the research I did it is an unmolested (except for the stock) not ordinance rebuilt N.P. carbine....but ....nothing in my research mentioned worth. Please help a fellow out. Thanks!

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As Perplexed stated, pics would be required for any accurate appraisal. Carbine flip sights, type 1 and 2 barrel bands, and other early parts are notoriously faked so it takes an expert to say with a 100% certainty that a rifle is correct. As long as the stock hasn't been poorly sanded and refinished, it hopefully will not affect the value to a large extent. The fact that the stock still retains its Trimble cartouche is a good sign.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am real sure nothing is "fake" on the gun. It has been in the family since 1944. The stock was varnished a real high gloss in the early 60,s and used as an honor guard gun by the guy who "brought it home". The stock didn't require any sanding when stripped, it was steel wooled and then linseed oiled. I know for sure the gun was only issued to one guy, and he had already been "over there". Upon his return he was issued this one and it never went overseas, and it was never fired except with a blank or two. Once again it for insurance paperwork. I think I'll put it down for $2200.00 and be safe either way. Thanks guys!!!

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And that is weak how? I never said I was going to post pictures, it was suggested to me, but I never said anything about doing so. It isn't for sale, and never will be, I even stated that right up front! How is that an enticement? All I needed was a ball park figure for the form, and I got that. So thanks to Senor Perplexed

Latest posts

Top Bottom