Navy issue pistol??? Vietnam era

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went to Vietnam in the mid-sixties and I heard that a guy couple bring his own sidearm to battle with him from stateside. And then they stopped the troops from bringing their own pistol. Back then a guy could ship back a gun captured in combat and apparently many were sent back. I was asked by a guy I knew fi I'd ship an AR-15/M-16 back in my Hold Baggage but I didn't want to go to jail for something I didn't own and this was 1967.
I worked with an old Vietnam vet. He told me a story along those lines. He said the guys were sending AKs back or something like that.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what i understand in the Mideast, troops cannot bring back arms but somehow Saddam's pistol was brought back and presented to ? GWB - believe.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked with an old Vietnam vet. He told me a story along those lines. He said the guys were sending AKs back or something like that.

There were “bring backs” from several wars. There was an amnesty period in 1968 that allowed those guns to be registered and transferable under the NFA. Once in a while you’ll see one for sale with “amnesty registered” in the ad.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what i understand in the Mideast, troops cannot bring back arms but somehow Saddam's pistol was brought back and presented to ? GWB - believe.

From The Guardian:
Saddam Hussein's gun to go on display at Bush library. The weapon, a 9mm Glock 18C, was discovered by Delta Force special troops when they dug Hussein out of his fox hole outside Tikrit on 13 December 2003. The legendary beast of Baghdad emerged from the 8ft-deep hole bewildered and disorientated; with his shaggy beard and unkempt mop of hair he looked closer to a dishevelled elf than one of the world's great dictators.

Latest posts

Top Bottom