Navy only shoots to wound?!?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's Angry Cops. Language warning. Duh. Squids might be offended if they get to the end of the video, but I'm thinkin' Uncle Sam's Misguided Children would get a chuckle out of it.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The video does have a little truth in it. I enlisted in the AF in 1975. When we went through weapons qualifications, our instructors said our purpose was not to kill, but to disable the enemy.

Their stated reasoning was that if you killed an enemy combatant the rest of that group would see their friend was dead and may be motivated to fight harder. If they were only wounded, several of his friends would have to stop fighting to remove him from the area to safety to get medical help, thus taking them out of the battle. Two to four troops out of the fight to help one even temporarily could give your side the opportunity to win. Then, it would take even more troops to take care of them after that which could result in overwhelming logistic and supply problems for the rear areas who would then have difficulty providing support and resupply to the forward areas.

My feelings were that if someone was shooting at me, they intended to kill me. Period! I wasn’t about to take the chance they’d succeed. Years later during qualifications, we were told to shoot center of mass and the subject of wounding was never mentioned again.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The video does have a little truth in it. I enlisted in the AF in 1975. When we went through weapons qualifications, our instructors said our purpose was not to kill, but to disable the enemy.

Their stated reasoning was that if you killed an enemy combatant the rest of that group would see their friend was dead and may be motivated to fight harder. If they were only wounded, several of his friends would have to stop fighting to remove him from the area to safety to get medical help, thus taking them out of the battle. Two to four troops out of the fight to help one even temporarily could give your side the opportunity to win. Then, it would take even more troops to take care of them after that which could result in overwhelming logistic and supply problems for the rear areas who would then have difficulty providing support and resupply to the forward areas.

My feelings were that if someone was shooting at me, they intended to kill me. Period! I wasn’t about to take the chance they’d succeed. Years later during qualifications, we were told to shoot center of mass and the subject of wounding was never mentioned again.

This was the same way it was taught when I went through OSUIT (Basic+AIT) in the Army and then years later in the 90s for the Navy. Remember Drill Sergeant Harn saying "Remember Joe, shoot to wound, but always aim center mass when you "wound" the f:censored:er"! Emphasis on the air quotes.

Last edited:

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
575z84.jpg

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I retired after 25 years in combat arms and I never heard anything like stated in post #2 and #3, ever. I say again, ever. I went through OSUT in 86 and nobody ever said anything like this nor throughout the rest of my time. If your instructors really said shoot to wound, then they were completely incompetent and derelict in their duty. Sounds like hooey.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everything I was taught was to kill....by any means necessary. Casualties in almost every engagement result in more WIA than KIA and this isn't by design.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, I’m just saying what I was told in basic. I wasn’t about to argue with them. I just wanted to graduate and get out of there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom