Neck shot or head shot for piggies?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll bet he didn't run very far. :)

About 10 yds dragging his butt. It must have taken out the artery as well, as a blind person could have followed the blood trail.
I really didn't watch much as I was nocking another arrow, wondering if one of the spooked ones might head my way, but they didn't.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting reading this. I was once in the big caliber camp. Now I have a different opinion.

I’m still in the big caliber camp.

Head or neck? Dr. Tad wants to know.

I’m a head shooter if at all possible, and if not, I try to place my shot right behind the shield. Head shot drops them, but I’ve never had one go far after being hit behind the shield.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone really dug for this thread!

Specifically when it comes to hogs I try and shoot the lead sow out of the sounder. Either a neck or head shot which ever is available, I'm not picky in that aspect. I want to drop her in her tracks. That lead sow literally is THE head of the sounder without her all hell breaks loose. They are completely lost and scatter aimlessly without a clue where to run. Often completely confused they will run directly at you. I think either the noise or muzzle flash or both attracts them honestly.

After the lead sow drops my only goal is to put bullets in hogs. I care not where the bullet hits or when or where they die. Just as long as I am hitting them. (obviously I try and make lethal shots as I do enjoy knowing exactly how many I got)

Latest posts

Top Bottom