Need a 9mm feel .40 load recipe, anyone got a powder puff .40 load

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m at work, for a g35, so it does have a little although lightened slide to cycle. I have the manuals but throwing it out there. Dominant powder is unique at the CASA.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know about powder puff load but my last batch was 180gr Federal HST's over 6.6-6.8gr of Unique with S&B SPM's. I tested in horrible cold conditions but it seemed like 6.6 ran better with that projo than the 6.8 did in a G23. I didn't accuracy test them in the G23 but did get them clocked around 1175fps from a 16" barrel on a PCC. No major velocity difference from 6.6 to 6.8 although I'd attribute that to the Dillon powder measure throwing +/- .1 gr and kind of evening them out a bit and having limited data from the fact that my Magnetospeed doesn't work super well on the 40 PCC setup I have.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No sir, lol pretty certain that is not a powder puff. I will work something up. That is a hard hitting round, and I got a bunch of 165gr hst to load, probably going to make them 10mm but now maybe half if I use the g35 to compete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No sir, lol pretty certain that is not a powder puff. I will work something up. That is a hard hitting round, and I got a bunch of 165gr hst to load, probably going to make them 10mm but now maybe half if I use the g35 to compete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't feel like it hurt too bad. But it was 10 degrees when I was testing so I dunno, my perceptions could have been off. The problem with those HST's is that there's no published load data. So I probably started on the high side based on the few people that have discussed it on the interwebs.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep Red Dot or Bullseye to make powder puff loads.
3.0-3.2 gr with lead bullets will be an easy shooting load.

Do as Dumpstick stated.
Lead bullets vs jacketed the lead will shoot lighter loads may not cycle but you can go pretty light.
I use Red dot in .223 .308 and 30-06 for lead light shooting loads.

Years ago people used Unique as a rifle powder puff load powder.
If it worked for that i would think you could easily reduce it in the 40.

If my son was home I would get my 40 and make some reduced 180 cast loads and see how low I could go and still cycle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom