Need Gun advice for my daughter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a Rossi copy of the old Winchester 62 pump, shoots .22 S, L, and LR. Not for sale, but if anyone needs to borrow it that'd be fine. Always happy to assist in getting kids involved in the shooting sports, as my kids are not nearly old enough yet.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So how do you explain that?

Do you tell her they are breeding in the dark?

Aarond

She sees in the gun cabinet when cleaning, she doesn't look in my closet. Therefore a new addition doesn't register anymore than her adding a new pair of shoes registers with me. It a 'selective' negligence of sight to allow a more blissful existence through self imposed ignorance.

SigInBoots

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We love the Henry Mini Bolt and CZ Scout my kids use, though they are .22LRs. Can't imagine introducing a kid to a gun with anything but .22LR ammo, hard to come by as it happens to be at present.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have first-hand experience with the Henry-Mini Bolt,,,
It is an excellent, although expensive, rifle.

I also have first hand experience with the Savage rascal,,,
It too is an excellent little rifle.

I bought a used Cricket because I found a great deal,,,
It is a fine little rifle but not as "nice" as the others.

What I don't understand is why people call it junk,,,
I guess it's because it is at the bottom as far as fine fit and finish,,,
But my co-workers son can put near every round in a dime sized circle at 25 yards.

That's off a bench and using a cheap rifle rest,,,
With the same set-up it's minute of clay pigeon every shot at 50 yards.

At Buds Gun Shop:
Cricket = $109.00
Rascal = $145.00
Mini-Bolt = $208.00

Granted that's only a $36.00 price difference between the two lowest priced rifles,,,
But for some folk that $36.00 might mean owning a rifle or owning no rifle.

I love the Henry single-shot rifles,,,
My Henry Accu-Bolt is an extremely precise rifle,,,
And if I had unlimited funds I would have bought a Mini-Bolt.

But again, just because it's a "nicer" rifle,,,
Doesn't mean the Cricket is junk.

It would be very interesting to let Dylan shoot all three rifles,,,
Just to see if the price increase would tighten his groups.

Aarond

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
to start:

this for safe gun handling excercises, loading, unloading, 3 rules, etc
www.ruralking.com_media_catalog_product_cache_1_image_9df78eab16ffbca6919840a1d4d9d9bede647974.jpg

then, same stuff with this but add the five fundementals (namely Trigger control and sight picture)...

[Broken External Image]

Then at your discretion, you know your child's readiness better than any of us, move to a single shot non mag fed bolt action .22lr. I suggest non mag feed because the time between each shot is good for thinking and concentration.

Make it a fun challenge for her to escalate her skills, anytime she gets frustrated or bored, do something else for a while. Let her know that her skills are up to her to learn and not a requirement. I have 3 daughters myself and each learn and have enthusiasm at different levels. Just my $.02.

Look for a >$100 bolt .22 on black Friday, Academy usually has Rem. 514s for $99. Great starter rifle with medium L.O.P.

Also locate an NRA Instructor to order you an Eddie Eagle workbook. My girls like them. If you cant find one give me a shout.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both my boys, and one of my girls got 22s when they were 6 or 7. Terran has a Marlin single shot bolt action that we bought at ODA. Last gun I bought there (sigh). He's 12 now. Tyler, who is a member here and almost 21, got a Stevens Favorite Model 30 made by Savage. Jazmin has an old Western Auto single shot bolt action. I think it was made by Mossberg.

They all had Daisys before that. We had a field behind the old house, and they all shot those bb guns for hours upon hours out there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom