Need Gun Smith To Shorten/Recrown A K Frame

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mln1963

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know how? I don't know exactly when? However, I'm absolutely sure it didn't happen on my watch. It had to have happend when a friend or my Son was behind the trigger. What? What the heck are you talking about MLN?!?!

While cleaning my favorite little K frame last night I noticed the barrel was ringed. :hellno: If you thought you heard a blood curdling scream last night around 11:00 PM that was me. Noooooooooo........... I was in total shock when I realized my baby was ruined (the barrel anyway). :crying: I'm past placing blame. Now I need to fix her or sell her for parts.

The gun in question is a S&W 14-3 3 screw with 6 inch barrel.

I have a couple of options:

1. Shorten and recrown the barrel and pin the patridge front sight into position. I think there might just be enough room to end up with a 3.5 or 4 inch barrel.

2. Replace with a stock barrel if I can find one reasonably priced.

3. Put a custom barrel on from someone like Clark Customs.

Since I don't compete I really don't want another K frame with a heavy @ss target barrel (one is enough). Finding someone with the gun vise and talent to replace a barrel is getting tougher and tougher. The same goes for finding barrels anymore since the trend has changed to semi-autos. The cut and recrown seems like it will be the easiest and least expensive route to happiness.

Then there is the big question. How much money does one invest in a 37 year old shooter? :anyone:

I'm seeking out recommendations for a capable smith to do some work. I prefer to use local (mid state) gun smith but I'd ship if the work was reasonably priced. Air freight on shipping the gun will dramatically increase the cost of the repair (Unless I can get away with sending it incomplete as "gun parts"). Are there any smiths out there that you know have the talent to do the work? Please advise with contact info. If you are a capable smith please contact me via PM (most reliable method) and I'll be in touch.

Thanks
MLN

Randall

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If the ring isn't too bad it may be ok.I have seen ringed barrels shoot pretty good.Have you thought about having it counter bored past the ring?

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
S&W charges 162.00USD for a new barrel. If it was me, I'd send her to S&W and let them put a new barrel on it. 14-3's don't fall off of tree's anymore.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
S&W charges 162.00USD for a new barrel. If it was me, I'd send her to S&W and let them put a new barrel on it. 14-3's don't fall off of tree's anymore.

+1 to this. If they have barrels available for replacement I'd have them change it. They are reasonable, they do good work and they don't take months and months to get it back to you.

I wanted to have a barrel shortened. Ruger wouldn't re-barrel it because nothing was wrong with it, and the custom guys I got quotes from were smokin crack on the pricing when I found one that would actually do it.

mln1963

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lee

I will call Smith tomorrow. Which department do I ask for? I wonder what it would cost to have the rest of the gun re-blued while it was there? Do you think they would return the removed barrel if requested?

Next question. If said gun has different springs and trigger work done will they leave it alone? I've heard tales of tuned Ruger guns coming back in stock configuration for "liability" reasons. That would really chap my hide!

I wouldn't make it a snubbie. I can't see carrying that gun over a J frame of equal caliber. Now a 3 1/2" to 4" barrel I could live with. I really prefer 4" barrels, especially if they have a full under lug. I don't mind 5" or 6" if they don't have the full under lug.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Lee

I will call Smith tomorrow. Which department do I ask for? I wonder what it would cost to have the rest of the gun re-blued while it was there? Do you think they would return the removed barrel if requested?

Next question. If said gun has different springs and trigger work done will they leave it alone? I've heard tales of tuned Ruger guns coming back in stock configuration for "liability" reasons. That would really chap my hide!

I wouldn't make it a snubbie. I can't see carrying that gun over a J frame of equal caliber. Now a 3 1/2" to 4" barrel I could live with. I really prefer 4" barrels, especially if they have a full under lug. I don't mind 5" or 6" if they don't have the full under lug.

1-800-331-0852

To answer both of your questions, yes they will do a reblue, if they do usually they will replace any faulty parts. You will get back basicly a new gun, minus the lock and MIM parts. To reblue a gun it has to be broken down to its smallest parts. As for you having an action job done to your gun, if you explain it to them they should leave it alone.

mln1963

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks! Are you sure you don't work for S&W? LOL

Did you just have a barrel replaced or is there a way of looking up the prices? I'd like to look up the bluing cost. When they replace other parts like you mentioned are you charged for that or do they do it out of the kindness of their heart?

I wonder if they will send me a return tag? That would be nice. I'd even pay for it because I know their rate would be at least 50% less than I would pay.

What is MIM? Matrix Injected Metal or something like that? I know it's used in the auto and motorcycle industry where it is considered a good thing, great even. I assume S&W's use of it not a good thing?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks! Are you sure you don't work for S&W? LOL

Did you just have a barrel replaced or is there a way of looking up the prices? I'd like to look up the bluing cost. When they replace other parts like you mentioned are you charged for that or do they do it out of the kindness of their heart?

I wonder if they will send me a return tag? That would be nice. I'd even pay for it because I know their rate would be at least 50% less than I would pay.

What is MIM? Matrix Injected Metal or something like that? I know it's used in the auto and motorcycle industry where it is considered a good thing, great even. I assume S&W's use of it not a good thing?

Some of their prices are on their website. Their finish prices are and some for their various labor fees, not sure about the other stuff.

MIM is metal injection molding. Done properly it's good to go. But when done wrong, things break. I'd rather have the old school forged and machined parts. But I'm old fashioned too...

Latest posts

Top Bottom