Need Help....870 Police Stock Installation on H&R Pardner Pump

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From all of the information that I have previously read, Remington 870 stocks and forends will directly fit the H&R Pardner shotguns since they are an 870 clone. I purchased an 870 Police stock set from a fellow member with intentions of giving my Pardner Protector the riot gun treatment, but am having a slight issue with the install. The stock bolt is too short (7") and the threads do not match in order to install the longer bolt (8 1/4") from the 870.

Should I take a 1" spade or drill bit and deepen the well in the butt stock or just attempt to find a longer bolt with matching threads? My main concern with drilling on the buttstock is that I may either crack or weaken it to the point that it does so in the future.

Here are the two bolts. The H&R is on the left with the 870 bolt on the right...

i181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_870PoliceStock009E.jpg

Here are photos of the butt stock and forend after staining and one coat of BLO. Still have a few coats of BLO and a finish wax left to do...

i181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_870PoliceStock020E.jpg

i181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_870PoliceStock016E.jpg

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have a welder? I would just weld in a 1-1/4" piece of round stock in the center of the H&R bolt. If you don't have a way to weld an extension, then I would just drill out the hole to the proper depth.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have a welder? I would just weld in a 1-1/4" piece of round stock in the center of the H&R bolt. If you don't have a way to weld an extension, then I would just drill out the hole to the proper depth.

Unfortunately I don't have a way of welding the H&R bolt and I probably need to keep it intact in case I swap back to the synthetic stock. I may take the bolts and the receiver stud around to a few hardware stores and see if I can find a bolt that works. I just found one person who ran into the 870 bolt threads not matching as well. Apparently the newer H&R and Hawk 870 clones switched to a metric receiver stud pattern. He stated that a standard 870 receiver stud will work as a replacement so that you can run the 870 bolt. I wonder if one can be found locally here in the OKC area?

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a local fastener place in Vallybrook. Can't remember the name. If they don't have something that would work, I would be very surprised. I think they have a $20 minim though.

Whatcha gonna do with the old stock? That wood looks good.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stopped by Fastenal yesterday with both bolts and the receiver stud. The thread isn't metric after all...it is 1/4 x 20. I ordered an 8" and an 8 1/2" length for around $1.60 each and the bolts should be here by Monday. I still have to find a new recoil pad. A pre-fit Limbsaver for a Wingmaster should fit, but I want to find one locally so that I can return it if it doesn't. I think that the stock will turn out nice once it's finished. It looked a little rough when I got it, but everything easily steamed and sanded out. The forend has some nice looking tiger striping on it.

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stopped by Academy today and luckily they had one pre-fit Wingmaster / Police recoil pad in stock. It was a miracle...the only Limbsavers that I normally see on the shelves were the poor fitting universal recoil pads. The pre-fit versions are listed as on-line order only on Academy's website. I did a quick test fitting and it looks like it will fit great. Just waiting on the stock bolts to come in on Monday...

Latest posts

Top Bottom