Need help deciding on 1/2 MOA rifle less than $2000

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
From my research 2k seems to be no mans land. Most guys that have spent lots of coin on rifles that I have talked to or read on forums say you either need to jump up to a full custom if your in the 1.5-2k range. Which will cost more than 2k or you should probably get a rifle less than 1k and buy glass. You can always upgrade barrel, trigger, chassis later. If you are happy with the stock gun then put every penny towards best glass. Any of the following Tikka, Bergara, Howa are all going to be most recommended choices in long range shooting or long range hunting if not going custom. Any of those three should be able to do 1/2 MOA or close with good loads from what I have seen. Heck I know a guy that does 1/2 MOA with savages that he re-barrels. Once you have your gun go shoot it. So many guys talk about buyers remorse on guns in the price range you are talking about. Its not the gun of their dreams but they have a ton tied up in them and loose money when selling them to get what they really wanted. There are nice rifles sold here frequently with less than 1 to 200 rounds and they go for a lot less than new when the finally sell. Lost of guns built for a hunt or long range and guys decide they don't really want to do that.

I am currently playing with a cheap .243 Rem 700 I picked up for $340 new. I put it in a magpul hunter. Total investment in gun is $600 and $300 in glass and it shoots better than half MOA with hand loads. If 2k is your full budget I would be going with one of the three manufactures I listed above then spend the rest of glass. Otherwise increase your budget and get the gun of your dreams.

Last edited:

Osage48

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was not including optics in the $2000, but everything would be included. Isn't Tikka make by Sako? I have a Sako heavy barrel varmint that shots well under 1 moa.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got over $2,800 (including original Winchester M70) in my custom GA Precision. It's boringly accurate with reloads. I say reloads because you can't find 7wsm match grade ammo.....except for Copper Creek Cartridge. Its slowed down about 70fps since new but will still launch a 180gr bullet over 2,900fps. I've got $801 in my 260rem Tikka T3 CTR and it will shoot every bit as good as my custom. One day I will add a KRG Bravo chassis, Gen II Little Bastard brake and a Strek swept ball bolt handle. Total invested in the end will be ~$1,400. None of these add-on pieces will increase accuracy.....only the cool factor.

These costs don't include what I have already invested in glass.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am interested in buying a rifle that consistently shoots in the 1/2 moa range and doesn't weigh too much to carry hunting. I am considering the 6.5 Creedmoor as I have larger calibers and I am getting tired of the excessive concussion most of these generate after shooting several rounds off a bench. I am really not into the cheaper rifles even though I am aware of how good some of the under $600 rifles shoot.

I have looked at Kimber, Christensen and others but not sure which one I like. I also do not know any stores that carry rifles in price range in which I am looking. Help would be appreciated.
Thats a fine line with 1/2 moa and a weight for hunting most of the time. What is a weight you consider to be too much for carry hunting?

Osage48

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The older I get the lower number becomes. I have a Browning Ti that weighs about 5 1/2#. Less than 7# without scope is probably my max

Latest posts

Top Bottom