1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Need help identifying a older Rossi revolver.

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by PanhandleGlocker, Feb 21, 2021.

1. PanhandleGlocker

PanhandleGlocker Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Dad gave it to me a few years ago since it was broke and at the time I was interested in Gunsmithing. Which explains why the photos show it taken apart and not put together. That dream didn't last super long. Been years since I even pulled this out of the safe. Another post in the gunsmithing section reminded me of this pistol. The story goes though that dad got it at a silent police auction. The story he told was there were two identical pistols. One worked, and the other was iffy. Someone switched the pistols when no one was looking. Dad was then the winner of the piece of crap. Not sure what year this would have been. Still a funny story though.

The markings on it are -

Left side of Barrel it says:
    Amadeo Rossi & CIA
    Sao Leopoldo R.S.

Right side of barrel it says:
    38 Special

Inside where the trigger mechanism is it is stamped with a circle around an M8

of course it shows the serial number on the right side.

then on the right side at the bottom of the grip it shows what looks like “”Z527”

Not sure if worth taking to a Gunsmith or not. Would be nice to have a cheap truck gun but if it costs more to fix than it’s worth then I’d have a hard time justifying it. Thanks everybody.

Pictures below in next comment:

2. PanhandleGlocker

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
  3. cal7.62x39

cal7.62x39 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Rebuilding isn't going to be cost effective, but IF your bent on it alot of parts for it can be had on ebay cheaper than gunbroker. I think it would be cool to have it two tone with a blued cylinder.

4. zipty6

zipty6 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    That looks similar to my grandmother's old Rossi 68 (although the rear site mount is different.) It was the first item that I performed a slow rust blue job on. (Pictures here, in case you're curious.)

They are a close copy to the Smith & Wesson model 36. I have read that they were produced in Brazil on S&W machinery under license from S&W. I cannot speak to the accuracy of this information.

5. PanhandleGlocker

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    possible to put Smith internals in it then?

6. zipty6

zipty6 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I don't know if that will work or not. If you try it, note that the Rossi uses the old style mainspring arrangement with a stirrup which is pinned to the frame and a ball-headed plunger.

7. zipty6

zipty6 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    If you're really interested in putting it back together this may be a good resource. I've looked at the site many times, but never used it.
    EveryGunPart.com