Need help making a suppressor choice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a can and jumping thru all the hops but cant make my mind up on which one i need.
What im looking for is a can that will work with different calibers i have (pistol and rifle) ( 22lr - 7.62X39 ) and i shot alot of lead so need one i can take apart and clean. Any suggestions from those that knows more about them than i do so i will have something to go with when i go to buy.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I want to see the responses to this question as I am in kind of the same situation.. would like to have something that works primarily for a 300 blk but it would be nice if I could use it on the 5.56 or a 9 mm pistol once in a while.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rickm, you need a designated 22lr can and a 30 cal can. Any can that is multipurpose will not suppress as well as a designated caliber can but it will suppress. This is what I have been advised to do. That is if I owned a gun. :)

Russ, you need two cans as well. You need a 30 cal can and then a 9mm can unless you want a multicaliber can for pistols. A 45 can with changeable pistons would cover your pistols.

The 30 cal can needs to be quick detach and then you get other thread pitch flash hidders

Last edited:

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rickm, you need a designated 22lr can and a 30 cal can. Any can that is multipurpose will not suppress as well as a designated caliber can but it will suppress. This is what I have been advised to do. That is if I owned a gun. :)

Russ, you need two cans as well. You need a 30 cal can and then a 9mm can unless you want a multicaliber can for pistols. A 45 can with changeable pistons would cover your pistols.

The 30 cal can needs to be quick detach and then you get other thread pitch flash hidders

To me for what your saying is I would need 6 different cans cause that is how many calibers i have right now with threaded barrels and i dont forsee my checkbook allowing me to get that many anytime soon. I was just looking for some options before i jumped off the cliff. But if thats the only options i have will have to go back to the drawing board and see which i would prefer the most.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a can and jumping thru all the hops but cant make my mind up on which one i need.
What im looking for is a can that will work with different calibers i have (pistol and rifle) ( 22lr - 7.62X39 ) and i shot alot of lead so need one i can take apart and clean. Any suggestions from those that knows more about them than i do so i will have something to go with when i go to buy.

I'd def recommend 2 different cans. A 22 can and a 30 cal, this would give you the most versatility. Suppressors can't do everything and if you try that you won't like what you have. Semi auto pistols have to have a piston to work.

I'd tell you from experience not to shoot lead 22 in a can, its nots fun to clean.

Mack45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.22lr is dirty and you want to be able to take it apart to clean it. Several companies make .22lr cans that can be disassembled for cleaning. Center fire is a lot cleaner and most center fire cans are not made to be taken apart.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me for what your saying is I would need 6 different cans cause that is how many calibers i have right now with threaded barrels and i dont forsee my checkbook allowing me to get that many anytime soon. I was just looking for some options before i jumped off the cliff. But if thats the only options i have will have to go back to the drawing board and see which i would prefer the most.

You would not need six different cans but a single 30 cal quick detach and then flash hidders to match cal and thread pitch of each firearm.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You would not need six different cans but a single 30 cal quick detach and then flash hidders to match cal and thread pitch of each firearm.
I agree on the .30 Cal Can for centerfire. I have a silencerco Harvester in jail right now that is good for .223 to .300 Win Mag.
I didn't want the flash hider adaptors as depending on how many calibers your going to use it for, you would need an adaptor for each gun. I know folks that have more money in adaptors/flash/quick detach than they have in the can itself.
The Silencerco has a threaded insert to take care of the most common threads used in the US. All of my guns fall into this category. So, by buying two adaptors I can fit the can to multiple rifles.

Oxbow

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don’t buy any...it’s a sickness that will spread into wanting a surpessor for all your guns. Don’t buy like a SICO hybrid that does all, you won’t be happy. Buy a rim fire can and a .30 cal can. I’d buy a pistol can last but are great on sub guns.

Latest posts

Top Bottom