Need help mounting a scope in Yukon/Mustang area

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tumbler

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone in the Yukon / Mustang area that could help me properly mount a scope? I don't have the right tools/workspace and I can't seem to get this damn thing level after tightening the rings no matter how hard I try. It's a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x going in a Larue SPR mount.

tumbler

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never heard of them. Tried giving him a call but went to voicemail, they may have closed up early for the day... Thanks for the info on him though

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are you mounting it on?
I'm guessing you have a rail are sure it's level to start with?
I know some times on two piece mounts you have to shim a mount, nothing I've mounted has been this way, but I've read it on other forums.

Too tired to Mad CKow.

tumbler

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are you mounting it on?
I'm guessing you have a rail are sure it's level to start with?
I know some times on two piece mounts you have to shim a mount, nothing I've mounted has been this way, but I've read it on other forums.

Too tired to Mad CKow.

The mount is a LaRue SPR mount, it's perfect. I just can't seem to keep the scope leveled as I tighten the rings around it. Basically I suck at life right now...

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The mount is a LaRue SPR mount, it's perfect. I just can't seem to keep the scope leveled as I tighten the rings around it. Basically I suck at life right now...

Larue are the easiest to keep level. You tighten all 4 bottom screws, tight. You can turn/clock the scope at that point. Then when you tighten the top ones, since they basically squeeze the scope from the sides, the scope won't turn or come off level.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most scopes have an erector housing with a flat bottom. I leave the ring caps loose enough so it will rotate with a little resistance, and get a flat, straight, thin object with parallel sides like a framing square, ruler, file, etc. and stick it between the flat bottom of the erector housing and the rail surface/scope mount, perpendicular to the direction the scope is mounted. I then place a hand on the object on either side of the housing, and twist it so the front edge presses against the scope housing and the bottom presses against the mount or rail surface. This levels the scope to the mount/rail. Then tighten down the ring caps. It has always worked well for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom