Need some AR help....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was out shooting last Friday with my AR and when my wife was shooting the second mag, a casing ended up stuck in the barrel. Steel casing. The primer is indented so I'm thinking the bullet was discharged, but regardless, it did not fire when I tried it a second time. I couldn't get it out and the only thing I have to try to get it removed is a cleaning rod, which isn't very stout and I couldn't get it to budge. Not sure why it jammed like that, we were about 32 rounds into shooting the rifle when it happened.
Any suggestions on removal or a good recommendation on someone I can go to that can get it removed?
Thanks.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
go to lowes buy a steel rod and drive it all back out. Use a screw drive on bottom of the carrier assembly to gently pry as you hit the rod with a hammer. Keep muzzle pointed in a safe direction and don't shoot crap steel ammo in a Stoner platform. The money you save on ammo you make up in torn extractors and scratched chambers

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious about this myself. I assume you tried mortaring the AR? If that didn't work, my next thought would be to remove the barrel and see what I could do with the extra access to the chamber. But the AR experts here probably will have better suggestions.

ETA: I see it was a steel case that got stuck. Would mortaring be a bad idea in this case, folks?

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm assuming that 'mortaring' is bumping the stock on the ground to get the case out, correct? If so, I've tried that.
I'll pick up a steel rod and try that one. I haven't looked yet but I'm guessing a 1/4" rod is about as close as I'll get to the bore size/casing size? The rifle is chambered in 5.56.

I've gotten the memo on steel case. I had picked some up a few years ago and was just trying to shoot through it, I've got maybe 150 rounds.

Thanks for the offer SPD...

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1/4" likely too large, personally i'd go smaller. your bullet diameter should be in the .224" range, so a .250 rod is too big. i once used a cleaning rod for 22 cal with success. the rod was ruined but the bore and chamber were fine. get one of the cheapie academy cleaning kits they had for 4.99 . but it's your rifle do what you think will work for you

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Mortaring is more than bumping the stock on the ground.

I would not want to put a steel rod in my barrel. I would try a wooden dowel.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you can put a wood dowel if you want. Only problem is you will have a splintered wood dowel you will have to drive your steel rod through to remove the stuck steel case. I do five or so of these every couple of months for customers. Trust me use a steel rod. Don't use aluminum or anything soft you will regret it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom