New Freefloat Handguard Install Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just finished my Black Friday shopping, and ended up with a Sons of Liberty Gun Works 12.5" upper and a BCM MCMR 10" handguard. The upper comes with the barrel, gas block and gas tube installed; but no handguard or muzzle device. I've never built an upper, so here's my question:

Can I remove the milspec barrel nut and install the MCMR rail without removing the gas block? I don't want to mess with the factory installation especially since set screws are used.

If anybody has installed a BCM rail, any advice would be appreciated!

ETA: Crap. Just realized that the barrel nut won't fit over the low profile gas block. Since I'll be removing the gas block, what is the best thread lock to use when re-installing it?

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have the A2 front sight, you're best off using drop-in handguards, in my opinion. You CAN remove the A2 sight and put it back on, but I would recommend either drop in plastic or higher-end MLOK handguards, personally. Or put on a free float and add an additional sight.

Just from my experience, A2 sights can be a PITA. Nothing wrong with them, just those tapered pins can be tough. I've got the blocks and punches to do it, though.

<eidt> I may have misunderstood. If you want to remove the front sight and replace, it is tougher with the A2, but that's ok. The tapered pins float out from left to right and can be a bugger. Much easier if you have the proper block for it. Then, the holes left in the barrel can be unsightly, so a longer handguard covering a low-pro gas block is really nice in that case.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Or take a cutter to the A2 front sight and cut off the sight and leave the gas block portion behind...grind it down and it'll fit under a free float handguard.
I’ve done this a couple times. Cut off with dremel, smooth it down with a table top belt sander, hit with some cold blue and you’re done.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a good point... if you're going to put a free float handguard over it that will extend far enough to cover it, and it isn't a "skeletonized" style that is going to show it, cutting that thing off is a MUCH easier option. You can always remove it later if you decide to go a different route, but I can't tell you if it makes it harder taking the FSB off if it is cut down. Maybe someone else can.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering putting an Mloc rail on my Colt 6920 with the A2 front sights. How? How to install and how to remove front sights?

I have a drop in MLOK rail from Midwest Industries on my BCM mid-length w/ a FSP. It is rock solid. I was looking at shaving my FSP, but I'm happy enough with the MI rail that I may leave it.

Looking forward to "playing" with my new upper. I've assembled several lowers but never an upper. I have a Wheeler armorer's kit with a vise block for the upper, but I'm debating whether or not to buy a Geissele Reaction Rod.

Latest posts

Top Bottom