New house for homesteading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldCurlyWolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We (wife and I) just purchased a new house that is out in the country. I am interested in opinions and thoughts on what to do with this "blank slate". We are
looking for primarily homesteading type of ideas and preparing for bugging in for whatever reason.
Current stats:
Land,This property is 5 acres in Osage county 1/4 mile from lake Keystone. 90% covered in trees (cedar, blackjack). there is a dry creek bed that appears to get water every now and then. Deer, Turkey, Rabbits on land.

House is all electric with a open fireplace. House is well built in 2001 and passes engineering, termites, septic, overall inspections. 1 small out building that is 8'x10'

My current plan is to work in a garden, create a clearing in the woods for a deer food plot, plant food producing trees/bushes (this is a weakness of mine, what to plant, when)

So, basically my question is. If you just bought this piece of property, what would you do with it?
First thing is get a generator. Second is get away from all electric. Third is try to set up a sustainable source of heat and cooling. Create water reservoir. put in a water well if it doesn't have one. Make sure you can convert from an electric pump/pressure tank system to a windmill.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
EFsDad quote: Is this what you speak of? Refering to the Grate Wall Of Fire picture above.

That is it. Our fireplace has nice rock on the front, but it is an 80's double metal wall covered with thin firebrick sheet material box "insert" with fans drawing air in the bottom blowing between the walls and up the back and out the top, but does not have real rock on the back and sides.

I had a 1/2 inch steel backplate made locally to save on shipping and just bought their grate. First time we started it up we had to move furnature back further away from it to keep it from getting too hot. It really has been impressive, well worth the money.

MikeM

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a lot of living off the grid magazines that offer many ideas.
Here are some, especially if you think this will be your bugout location.
Goats for milk, meat or for fiber for weaving.
Rabbits for meat
Chickens, check out articles about putting food plants in caged chicken runs. The chickens eat bugs and fertilize.
Dig a root cellar. Doubles as a storm shelter.
Herbs for cooking and for medicine. Do some research.
A cow for beef or for milk. How much time will you devote to livestock?
Do you think you will have to live off the grid? Windmill or solar panels.
Going to protect your electronics from an EMP? Build a faraday cage.
Stock up on firewood. Once you think you have enough double it and then double it again.
Read Mother Jones the magazine.
Buy the FoxFire books.
Does it have deer? Improve their habitat. Same for wild turkeys of you can.

gldnflash23

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a lot of living off the grid magazines that offer many ideas.
Here are some, especially if you think this will be your bugout location.
Goats for milk, meat or for fiber for weaving.
Rabbits for meat
Chickens, check out articles about putting food plants in caged chicken runs. The chickens eat bugs and fertilize.
Dig a root cellar. Doubles as a storm shelter.
Herbs for cooking and for medicine. Do some research.
A cow for beef or for milk. How much time will you devote to livestock?
Do you think you will have to live off the grid? Windmill or solar panels.
Going to protect your electronics from an EMP? Build a faraday cage.
Stock up on firewood. Once you think you have enough double it and then double it again.
Read Mother Jones the magazine.
Buy the FoxFire books.
Does it have deer? Improve their habitat. Same for wild turkeys of you can.

I do think I will be buying a goat to help with clearing out the underbrush on this house. Chickens will be a must once we move in, but not crazy about starting the chicken farming in the middle of winter. Cows will come in time but I will need to create that pasture out of the woods and give time for grass to root in. I am very intrigued by the idea of a root cellar, I don't know much about them at this time. I have had a garden (herb & veg) for more years then not in my lifetime but never focused on storing or canning seeds or produce. I do plan on reading up in the forum on the food plots for wild animals. I will mainly just enjoy them as guest until I need to kill them. I usually always keep a deer in the deep freeze. I am not worried about an EMP, off grid, faraday cage at the moment, but my mind is starting to lean towards considering it. I am more of the offensive minded guy if that was to happen I would probably not be worried about electric. I will be researching the suggestion on Mother Jones magazine and the firefox books. thanks for the suggestions

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Death to all cedars.
2. Death to most, if not all blackjacks.
3. Plant pears, apricots, peaches, plums, pecans, apples. 3 of each will produce a lot of fruit beginning in 3-5 years.
4. Prepare garden spot, get soil analysis.
5. Gutters and rain containment system.
6. 2 heifers will keep you in beef. Keep fenced from fruit trees and garden.

gldnflash23

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good list Turkeyrun. I'd add, learn and acquire supplies for canning both pressure and water bath.

Great list indeed, and pretty close to what I have planned. I cannot cut down all the blackjacks because that is all I will have after the cedars. After the cedars I take out some blackjacks and replace them with fruit/nut bearing trees. I don't know if I will do the heifers right off the bat, or if ever. There is no pasture land other than the back yard and that's only approx. 30 sqyds at the moment. I did have an OSA member PM me the following information that I have been digesting and it was so good I asked that member if I could share it for the benefit of anyone else that is following the thread for themselves.

Google a few of the following
Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholemew
Permaculture
Hugelkulture
Bio intensive Gardening
Aquaponics
Joel Salitin book Pastured Poultry Profits
The Survival Podcast (many podcasts on gardening and permaculture)

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere, I have a book that talks about homesteading on 5 acres. I'm wanting to say it was one of the Storey's guide type books, but damned if I can remember the title right now. If I can turn it up, I'll let you know what the title is.

In the mean time, you've got plenty of room for chickens (and/or ducks, geese and guineas), rabbits, goats, a small orchard and a sizeable vegetable garden. If you want stuff that's easy to grow, tomatoes and peppers are your friends.

Putting out a food plot to help encourage the deer and other critters probably isn't a bad idea, either.

Edited to add: there are also several books on Amazon about small scale homesteading.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good list Turkeyrun. I'd add, learn and acquire supplies for canning both pressure and water bath.

True, daughter came by and I cut list off.
Add a dehydrator to the canning.
A portable chicken coop and 4-6 layers takes very little space. Meat chickens are 16 weeks hatch to freezer.
A rabbit hutch is good to have.
Goats for milk and meat.

Once you clear those cedars, you will be surprised that creek may have some water and the grass/pasture will develop quickly.

I have;
3 pecan
3 apricot
5 cherry
3 peach
2 plum
2 pear
3 apple
on about an acre.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On a side;

I set up a program for some guys at work who wanted some beef.
They invest $6000 for 4 years.
In 1 year they get $1500 and a market steer for home freezer.
Year 2, 3, and 4 repeat.
After 4 years they have the original investment back and have 4 steers in the freezer.

I take care of pasture and cattle, they do nothing: unless they just want to come out and help, which 1 has. He is looking at 5 acres and plans on raising his own.

Latest posts

Top Bottom