New lightweight AR-15 project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I was fascinated by @doctorjj 's featherweight build HERE, so I decided to build a lightweight myself. Now I don't have the budget he did for the sweet exotic parts, so I took a different aim: What can I do on a budget for a lightweight build, and still maintain low recoil? Sounds contradictory, but I thought if I use a LW buffer & BCG, along with an adjustable gas block and muzzle brake, that should keep it fun to shoot.

I will try and get some pictures of part weights up once I weigh them all, but my goal is 5lbs unloaded with optic (5.5lbs loaded with 20rd mag). I will also put up a detailed cost sheet.

Right now I have a standard AR-15 forged lower, and a PSA slick sided forged upper (one of the lightest uppers I've found). I plan on milling a groove down the length of the pic rail on top like some of the high end LW uppers. I also plan to use one of the Tennessee Arms hybrid polymer lowers, but I have the forged lower already.

The barrel is a Bear Creek Arsenal 16" mid lightweight with .750" gas block seat. I needed the .750" seat since I had a .750" adjustable lopro gas block in my parts bin.

For the stock I am using an rifle buffer system, with just the A2 buttplate screwed directly to the tube. I also removed the trap door. This means I will have to tap the hole for the takedown detent & spring since there will be no stock or plate to retain it. I also removed all of the tungsten weights from the buffer.

I snagged a super cheap M16 BCG from Primary Arms also (BCA for $60), and plan on milling on it to shed a couple ounces.

The handguard is this Delta Team Carbon Fiber 12" model. It is $60. I was going to grab the 9" for $50, but my buddy had bought this and didn't care for it in his application so I am trying it out for this. I'll keep this updated if I decide to ditch it also.

Before any "buy quality parts" or "this won't be reliable when shooting underwater in the sand while operating operationally in theatre"... I know, this is a fun project to be a range toy. If parts don't work for even that, I'll upgrade as necessary and update here. It also won't likely be a high round count gun.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'll be able to put together a functioning rifle shortly. Still have a few pieces to change out, and the machining won't happen until end of September, but I've been researching and sourcing parts for 6 months.

Oh, and another thought, I will post weights before and mods, and alternate parts (if applicable). For example, I intend to use the M16 BCG and machine it down, or you could buy a LW BCG to begin with if you don't have access to a mill.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
"For the stock I am using an rifle buffer system, with just the A2 buttplate screwed directly to the tube."

Interesting.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
IMG_1163.JPG

Here's where I'm at now. The barrel and BCG are en route. The LPK is just not installed yet.

"For the stock I am using an rifle buffer system, with just the A2 buttplate screwed directly to the tube."

Interesting.

Thanks for the props. Good luck in your build. It's addictive to go lighter and lighter.

You're welcome! Agreed! My last 16" AR used a PSA pencil barrel with a MI SSK12 handguard and an MFT stock. Nothing else particularly lightweight. I really like it, but wanted to try even lighter with this.

My wife and I stopped by your shop and while we missed you, the sales guy showed off the rifle. Pictures are one thing, handling it in person was another entirely. "Unbelievable" describes it well!

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 104624

Here's where I'm at now. The barrel and BCG are en route. The LPK is just not installed yet.

You're welcome! Agreed! My last 16" AR used a PSA pencil barrel with a MI SSK12 handguard and an MFT stock. Nothing else particularly lightweight. I really like it, but wanted to try even lighter with this.

My wife and I stopped by your shop and while we missed you, the sales guy showed off the rifle. Pictures are one thing, handling it in person was another entirely. "Unbelievable" describes it well!
Too bad I wasn't there. Send me a PM next time you head that way and I'll try to be there. Thanks again for the compliment on the rifle. We should go shoot it sometime. I haven't shot it yet!!!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'll do that. I'm anxious to shoot mine when it's complete!

Weighed what I have right now, at 2lbs 14.3oz. That's with a standard M4 upper receiver. I have the PSA slick side assembled on another gun right now so I won't have it until I'm ready to assembly the new upper. Still waiting on the barrel, BCG, and gas tube. Also going to order a A1 stock screw so I can ditch the A2 spacer. That will save a little more weight.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Partially assembled with M4 upper, upper not fully tightened down because I'm waiting to get access to a vice (mine's not attached to anything at the moment!) to swap this M4 upper to my .300blk and use the PSA slickside upper that that gun is assembled with.

Current weight is 5lb 2.7oz. With the standard M16 carrier, the aforementioned M4 upper, and still has the A2 stock spacer. I expect to cut ~2oz from the carrier. The slick upper weighs 5.95oz vs 8.6 for the M4; so 2.6oz there. The spacer weighs 0.8 oz.

So I expect 4lbs 13.x oz.

If I move to the TN Arms hybrid poly lower that will shave another 3oz + the weight of the trigger guard.

Other note, I don't have any optic or sights on it yet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom