New Milsurp Inbound!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
looks like a good un leighton. i like the last pic "hey son,pull the trigger while daddy looks down the barrel"

warpusher

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like a winner. It is a 1916 Guardia Civil Rifle...basically a Spanish police rifle. A lot of these were rebarrelled to 308/7.62. It is a 93/95 style mauser action, so it is a small ring and has a different gas venting mechanism than a 98 series mauser. The bolt is also slightly different, without the 3rd emergency lug.

These are very good and handy rifles, in either 7mm or 308. There's a lot (and I MEAN A LOT) of myths, half truths, and misinformation on the 308 conversions and Spanish rifles in general.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are only two rifles that are better off in .308 - SMLE and MAS; also, both are better off as fire wood.

Basically, 7x57 or burn it! :laugh6:

Last edited:

warpusher

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are only two rifles that are better off in .308 - SMLE and MAS; also, both are also better off as fire wood.

Basically, 7x57 or burn it! :laugh6:

Care to explain your multiple comments? Are you saying that the SMLE and MAS are no good in their original calibers? 303 British and 7.5 French are no slouches. I can actually get (thanks to PRVI) 7.5 cheaper than 7mm mauser, and both rounds are in the same class as 7mm.

As to the firewood comment, both the SMLE and MAS are excellent rifles and definately are not "firewood". The MAS has some of the best sights on a bolt gun, and quite possibly the simplest disassembly of any bolt gun. It also is quick firing due to the rear locking lugs. As for the SMLE, your negative comments are the first I can ever remember hearing on this arm. The SMLE has been through it all and emerged victorious. It again is quick firing, has a large capacity, and is very easy to maintain.

As much as I like 7X57, it was Mauser's export cartridge, they kept the 8mm's to themselves.

Latest posts

Top Bottom