New "OLD" Remington 870 / STEEL shot loads...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man that is a good looking 870. My dad has my old wingmaster, I need to get it from him. I like the looks of the grey/black combo, I'd like to do a black/OD.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
David, thanks for the load info. That 3" ACTIV load is pretty close to what I do. Just using Fed 209 primer and 62 Ts.

You say the barrel is 3 1/2"? and it fits that old frame? I was pretty sure the new 3 1/2" barrels were a bit different to prevent interchanging, but I see in the pics, it is on the gun. I learned something today, it is a good day.

If the barrel is 3" or 3 1/2" chamber, you can safely use 3" shells in that gun. My hunting buddy has an old 870 28" mod VR 2 3/4" chamber and we rechambered to 3" 30 years ago. It is the only shotgun he owns and has never had a problem with it. My biggest concern with the T steel shot in your barrel would be the FULL choke. I have both MOD and FULL fixed choke guns and the MOD patterns the Ts much better than the FULL.

The greatest thing about those old 870s, the more you use them, the slicker that action gets.

My HD 870 is nickel plated, looks a lot like yours. Love that 'grey' finish.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
good info on the gold tint tubes. funny how all my shotguns are fixed tube. Moved into the 'modern' era with son's first shotgun because we cut the barrel down to fit him, and then only have 1 tube. I plan on getting a VersaMax though and will have to get more familiar with the tubes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom