New Shooters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kim, my audiologist in Enid, has an 18-year-old son who is interested in guns. Like me, he has a cochlear implant and is doing quite well with it. Of course he has had his implant a lot longer than I have mine, and a few of his friends, also hearing impaired. may be coming to my range for a shoot. It will be a good chance to get some kids interested in using guns for sport and it might kindle an interest in guns as instruments of self-defense.

No date has been set, but I do look forward to seeing and helping some young people get into shooting.

I'm going down to see Kim today to have an app installed in my new iPhone, so I'll mention it to her then.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kim was finally able to install the app in my iPhone and after that, we discussed the range trip. Both her and her husband will be there and I have some interesting guns in 22 rim fire, such as my Colt/Walther M-1911, my Walther PPK/s and my Chiappa M1 carbine in 22. That should pique their interest. I also have a couple of wheelguns in 22.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
New shooters are always a good thing. The more we involve the general public into our realm, the more understanding and support we get.
Shooting is also a common sense character building sport that serves us all well as we pass on our heritage to our young men and women.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good deal! Hopefully those kids will learn something opposite to what most see in the education system we have today.
I came from a non shooting/no gun family. I took the .22 rimfire Junior Rifle Club class when 12 years old and history has produced what a little gun education can do to a person. That Junior Rifle Club has been in existence for over 60 years now in Ponca City.
I hope your introduction to guns with these young folks will turn out to be as rewarding to the young ones as it was to me and others that learned at a young age with proper safety and handling. (and fun!)

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I enjoy to introduce new shooters to the sport. I try and show them guns and how they look and work prior to the range visit with no ammo involved. This way they can get more acquainted with the guns. Its also a good time to bring up the 4 rules or or 10 commandments of gun safety. Whatever you flavor is. Then make sure to talk about those while at the range and give examples of correct way to use them. My kids can recite 10 commandments of gun ownership. We talk about them on the way to the range. I had them watch different videos on youtube about them. Just want them hearing from multiple voices these same things and how important they are.. Also anytime we take new people I plan very limited to no shooting for myself. I am their personal instructor/safety officer to make sure they have no mishaps.

Last edited:

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking of driving a couple of steel fence posts into the ground and getting a couple of 90 degree PVC elbows (I already have the pipe) and hanging some empty power-ade bottles (assorted flavors) using them to shoot at. That should be fun, and as one poster on the Kansas forum pointed out, they DO something when they are hit even with the 22's I intend to bring.

Latest posts

Top Bottom