NEW TIME for OKC Rifle Match

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_pinto

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Pretty fun day. Thanks everyone for coming out.

The scores will be posted on the club website soon. If sorted on time, James Thomas was hoa. If sorted by points, Doug Bowdler was hoa. First one with a paypal deposit to my account is how we'll post them! ;)

Actually we do time instead of point, but I will post both.

Thanks for coming out. We might continue to do these more, or maybe a two gun match with rifle and shotgun. Who knows. I really think the new scoring system is a hit.

1 point of clarification. A long gun that is confirmed unloaded, pointed straight up with the safety on is the same as an unloaded and holstered pistol. :)

No match for us in July and August may be hit or miss, depending on weather and schedules. September is out for nationals and November is thanksgiving. I will check with my partners in crime and see if we can squeeze one in.

M

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If anyone lost a charging handle latch, I have it.

Also, I was of the assumption that there are no points persay, only that different hits on the paper modify the times.
So time is the score, right Mike?

ninefan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mike, I *really* liked the stage with the slots between the no-shoots. It allowed a lot of options on how & where to engage the back targets (some options better than others), but also punished you if you weren't precise in your movement when you chose a plan.

I also liked on the mineshaft and ft. courage stage how you could choose between more positions with easier shots or more difficult shots from fewer positions.

On the long-range stage instead of moving from left-to-right between positions could we run it from right-side to left-side and engage short-range paper targets that are setup on the left berm while moving between the long-range positions? I don't know if there is a safety issue there or not, but I thought it might be cool and mix things up.

ninefan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Also, I was of the assumption that there are no points persay, only that different hits on the paper modify the times.

I think by points Mike means that if you take each stage as worth 100 pts, then take each persons percentage of the stage winner's points for each stage and then sum them up to make the overall (like USPSA scoring but without weighting each stage for the number of targets on each stage).

It would have the effect of making all of the stages worth the same, whereas now the long-range stage is a bit over-amplified because a bad run that is say 20% longer than a good 70 second run is 14 seconds added to the time, where on a shorter 30 second stage a 20% longer run would only be 6 seconds longer.

I think the only real way to lessen the effect of this with our time scoring would be to make the long-range stage shorter (as in less total targets) so that it takes less time to run. That would give less difference between a good run and a bad run on that stage.

On the other hand you could argue that the long-range stage is fine like it is simply because we don't have targets out past 30 yards on any of the other stages. If we could run 100-200 yd targets on other stages then they would also have much longer times. By having all of our long-distance shots on one single stage we just compress all of that long-range shooting for the match into one go at it (and boy you better have your game face on for that stage!!).

mike_pinto

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

I was talking about the 100 points per stage scoring thing. It is always interesting how that pans out. So if you shot a stage in 20 seconds and the 2nd fastest was 25 seconds, you would get 100 points and second would get 80.

It allows you to tank a stage and still be competitive. We just don't play by that. :P

sparks40

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

Mike,

if you found it on stage 5 or 6 it's mine. You don't know how hard it was to set up a malfunction so I didn't have to shoot in the heat:sunbath:

Latest posts

Top Bottom